ad: ARR

poor practice or totally acceptable?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

my mobile radio has a beacon function. lately, i've been beaconing my call on 144.2 Mhz every 30 seconds (when i'm on the road). if i hear cw i just grab the mic and call cq. the other end always responds w/ fone.

im digging it.

so is it poor form? i sure hope not.

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is just my opinion: I wouldn't call CQ to call a station responding to me. I assume you can't copy the CW they are sending you to know their callsign?

3. KK4YWN

its a safe assumption.

i can drop the practice of calling cq no problem. it is kinda redundant.

this radio has been mounted in my car since may. i've called cq on 144.2-21 almost every day, several times per day, since it was installed. i made one random contact in all that time. with the beacon on: i made three contacts yesterday and one today.

4. KC9UDX

Very interesting. I wonder if anyone else does this.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That actually sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps if more people did it, we'd have more activity on 2 meter SSB. Maybe you should try to promote this idea. No doubt, some people will complain, and in some places, it would be silly.

6. KC9UDX

I wonder if you'd get different, or same results with a voice keyer.

7. KK4YWN

the recent contest taught me a valuable lesson: everybody likes their beams (and for good reason). beams need time to sweep the horizon. a really weak ssb signal off the side/back of a beam is exceptionally hard to hear in the noise. if you happen to hear someone talking ssb, it takes some time to figure out which direction to turn the antenna. i've lost stations completely before ever actually finding them.

on the other hand: a cw signal will just pop out of the noise. if it beacons every 20 seconds the receiving station will find it in a few minutes.

im not sure how the voice keyer will go over since theres a fellow on 10m whos infamous for using one... all day every day (or so it seems)

8. KK4YWN

i have an ft-857d in the car by the way. somehow i have the thing setup so it will beacon on cw even though i'm set to usb. i'll go through the menus and see if i can figure out how i made it work.... by default it would only beacon when mode was set cw.

one hiccup: it will beacon on fm, and it will use the repeater offset. oops.

9. N7DMA

N7DMA Ham Member QRZ Page

From the manual:

Pg. 95
    "Menu 022. CW Auto Mode. Selects whether the KEY jack shall be enabled or disabled while using the SSB/FM modes."

Also see more detail on page 100 or the manual.

I leave mine set to "ON".

Edit: But I don't beacon! Interesting idea, though.

Karl
    N7DMA

10. KK4YWN

Yep I think that's the setting.

A local cw op helped with the message and timing. It runs long
    enough that finding me with a beam should take no more than two cycles.

12 wpm:
    Cq cq de kk4ywn/m pse qso via usb k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.