Poor Conditions

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0RLR, Jul 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. 2E0RLR

2E0RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a quick moan about the current conditions on the bands, my noise floor on 40m this past week has been near zero indicating to me next to no propagation, during the day I turn off my radio theirs no point in wasting electric.
    I heard a Spanish station working loads of you guys in the States, here in the north of England I hear only frying eggs!
    If conditions don't improve soon this will be the death of amateur radio as we know it!
    Yes I know i'm having another bad day at the office and having a moan but seriously if conditions don't improve soon who knows what will happen!!
    Rod

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what you are talking about. Here in Arizona USA, if I am willing to be on the air between 2 in the morning, local time, and up to an hour past sunrise, I can work all the far east DX I care to work.

I mean, no it isn't necessarily "rare DX" -- but Covid has pretty well cancelled DXpeditions. So, that's another hidden limit on really rare things. But some people live on places like Ogasawara (JD1) which are somewhat rare.

And, if I'm just bored and want to work "something" I can work all the JA, BY, and YB stations I want, to say nothing of Aussies and Kiwis.

Check your antenna.

3. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

If 40's dead try 60m , oh wait you can't , if 40's dead try 10m or 12 ,15,17,20 ,80 or VHF _UHF . If conditions don't improve soon amateur radio might lose a lot of operator,s that don't understand propagation (being on the right band at the right time for the existing conditions at the time) might be a more accurate way to put it.
    I only use SSB and 10m had netted me 86DXCC this year with plenty of extended conversations either direct line of sight , TrE , backscatter ( love it ) or straight forward Sporadic E ( or combination E + F2 ) of course most of the DX ones would have to be classed as contacts rather than QSO's but not all. Ten metre SSB is still opening to the USA / Canada every now and again and may well continue to do so into early August and infact the North of the UK has had the better of the openings so far from what I can tell.
    Lots of different bands , lots of different modes of propagation use them .

VE3CGA likes this.
  4. 2E0RLR

I understand propagation been on the radio now 42 years!

KF5KWO and PU2OZT like this.
  5. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a ton of stations on 10/6 with Sporadic E, and some on 160 with the vertical.
    New radio FT 991A so playing around with that as well, so i'm not bored by the conditions, there is always a band open somewhere.

VE3CGA likes this.
  6. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

BAND CONDITIONS:
    A.How are the bands.jpg

B.BAND CONDITION SPRAY.jpg

B.GettingASignal1.jpg

B.GOLDEN BAND 20M.JPG

B.He gave me a 3x3.jpg

B.I got my DXCC when there were only 100 contries1.jpg

---Layne AE1N

W5BIB and 2E0RLR like this.
  7. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

ONE MORE

A.TRUMP PROMISES GREATEST PROPAGATION EVER11.jpg

8. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked Portugal on 10, as said there is always a band open somewhere...
    100 watts into my Imax 2000 vertical 5/9 both ways with some QSB.

9. 2E0RLR

10. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

your mileage may vary but try 40, 30M early around sunrise. 20M wakes up later
    I've worked loads of VK/ZL's, JA's etc.
    Sadly not hearing much on ssb or cw but FT8 signals are very strong.
    This makes me believe its operators choice of mode rather than condx
    Never heard New Calidonia, Indonesia, Fiji until recently
    Meanwhile I'll take what I can get whatever mode
    20M opens later and I am hearing Europe on ssb & cw then again around suppertime on most days

Using an Icom 9100 into a 40M inverted vee, a 80M inverted vee on 30M, a 20M dipole on 20 & 17

2E0RLR likes this.