ad: MLSons-1

Police request help from the ARRL in RFI incident

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NK7Z, Aug 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you stumped me with that one, actually had to google something.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Life is for learning...for all of us.

3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Most certainly, problem with doing an internet search for the meaning of deontological is the true factual meaning is so heavily watered down for a specific demographic the information appears to be useless.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Only to you, apparently.

WF9Q likes this.
  5. AG6JU

AG6JU Guest

we had some noise interference issue at the place where I work inside of building. portable spectrum analyzer along with some wide band width antenna such as log periodic antenna help identify where noise is coming from.
    in 1980's and first half of 1990's , I was able to carry 2 meter hand help with normal squelch just about any where and it rarely opened a squelch , but now. I must have Tone squelch, so annoying noise does not come through speaker .

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, plaque came in a couple of days ago:

20161013_084821.jpg

The ARRL has my support.

Steve
    KV6O

N5PZJ and K3XR like this.
  7. W9XA

W9XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Chip -

I really do not want to wade into your argumentative discourse - but if I may point out that
    I am NOT a paid ARRL staff member, I am a volunteer. ALSO, I paid for all of my trips to the Evanston
    location out of my own pocket. In about the same time I used the Radar Engineers equipment for
    several other separate noise studies that did arise from complaints of harmful interference to amateur
    operations. I do occasionally perform this type of field work as part of my normal biannual EMC
    Committee reports to the Board on amateur interference complaints, and I do receive no re-reimbursement
    of expenses or payment for my time.

The Evanston situation did have a significant impact on amateur and other allocations but
    there had not been any complaint of harmful interference by an amateur. This case did show that there
    are real world EMC issues that are actually becoming quite common-place and do in fact limit our access
    to the spectrum by significantly raising the noise floor to the level of being harmful interference. This
    particular offending device could be heard at a level that would preclude the use of several amateur bands for
    at least a block in any direction.

So Chip - since this did not involve ARRL funds, as you say, "... this would hardly be a concern".

- Kermit Carlson W9XA

N0WZE, WG7X and W9AFB like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Kermit,

The definition of 'argumentative' is not 'someone who disagrees with me'. Nice try.

This set of comments is the key example of EXACTLY what I am talking about.

N-O-W-H-E-R-E- does the issue of your compensation come up in ANY of my comments. I never had, nor gave, that impression. GO READ, please, my first post on this thread.

Then you may appropriately apologize.

As to other matters, sorry my friend: we have thousands of DF trained vets looking for gigs. We now have reasonably inexpensive SD boxes galore. The field has been disrupted , much as the network analyzer market has been disrupted.

DFing (non-Part 97)is a perfect opportunity for vets and others to make a living if they choose, without a huge investment. If anyone--not JUST hams--wants to do that voluntarily, well, that's the point: it is not a 'ham' activity, now is it?

Why should there now be a new initiative by the ARRL to make it a growing one as a ham activity and responsibility?

I was fine with your assistance in Evanston, Kermit. If you had read the thread, you would realize I also have done my share, reluctantly, and stopped a while back. Now I pass all of it off to commercial guys who need the business.

Why aren't YOU doing that?

Wouldn't that be the right thing to do?

I, for one, will NOT do ** free ** work on something that I know others are trying to make an honest living doing. And more importantly, despite the assertion of the ARRL tech that we are 'public servants', hams are NOT public servants.

Enable others Kermit. You have a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience (I know you are a physicist, like myself) from which they can benefit--then let them run with it.

Kermit, teach the cops. That's a GREAT place to start.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  9. WB9MCW/SK2024

WB9MCW/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Kermit it was very nice of you to give us all the details and facts about the incident. I think you did a wonderful job and in the better interests of ham radio and the ARRL. I know many others share this opinion as well. There will always be those who disagree. This is the beauty of our country and form of government that allows for us all to discuss it and for most to just agree that they disagree and move on. Unfortunately sometimes a stick in the mud just won't drop it and has to continue to argue to the point of obsession. All that can be done at that point is to ignore their flame baiting and feel sorry for them.

WG7X likes this.