ad: elecraft

Police Question Ham Radio Use

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB3EAA, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB3EAA

KB3EAA Ham Member QRZ Page

It was late winter in Newtown, a small community in Southeastern PA, close to the Delaware River.  My wife and I were looking for each other, while doing some shopping on the main drag.  I heard "KB3EAA, this is KB3GYO", on my VX5R.  I turned as I replied, only to see her wave at me and smile.  She was just 50 feet away, her blue dress suit silhouetting her against the brightly flowered storefront.  I laughed and ran across the street to her, giving her a big hug and kiss.  

Just then I heard an angry shout from the road.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" the scowl faced policeman demanded.  I looked over at him, still in his car, as he stared at our offending radios. "We are Ham radio operators", I replied respectfully, although publicly embarrassed by his accusatory tone.  "WHY are you using them here" he then demanded.  "We are HAM radio operators, and we are talking to each other", I replied.  He looked peeved, as his shouts echoed off of the surrounding brick facades-  "You're not from around here are you-- you have to expect to be questioned if you do that sort of thing around here.  People don't know what you are doing".  "We are HAM radio operators" I replied, "and THAT"S what we're doing"!  He drove off, while my shocked wife and I stood staring.  

I walked over to the Police station, hoping to find the Chief, and do a little educating.  I was told that someone had found my wife and I to be suspicious, and notified the police of our radio "activity", thus the questioning. I said that the officer had acted improperly, by shouting at us that way in public, and that if his attitude was indeed warranted, then he could have also gotten out of his car to confront us.  On the other hand, if we were not really suspicious, then why the embarrassing scene?  The Chief was gone for the day, so I made a copy of my Ham license and R.A.C.E.S. id card, with a note bearing my phone number and a request that he give me a call, which he never did, even though I followed up by leaving him another message a week later.

Not too long after, I stopped a gas station, where an aged East Indian attendant commented on the ATAS-100 antenna on my car roof.  He asked if I was with the government.  I told him I was not, but that as HAM operator, and that I would use my equipment in defense of my country and government if need be, for this is a primary purpose of the Amateur Radio Service in this country.  He told me that in his country, only the government would be allowed such things.  

Now, I'm not up on the state of Amateur rules in India or Pakistan or wherever he was from, but the point is that this was how he was taught to think over there.  Those who may communicate must be specially privileged, or part of the military.  I reflected on the great privileges we as Americans enjoy, and felt a little self-conscious there with this humble man, who was willing to view me as an authority, simply because of my nice new car and roof rig.  

I suppose I might have been able to educate the officer on the importance HAM radio in public service, had I actually expected to be questioned.  I would have been ready, instead of offended.  But the continued need to over-explain ones legal activity in order to forego further interrogation is not an indicator of progressive social development.  The Gulag was stuffed full of good Russians who were eager to further explain their innocence.  Problem was though, that they had ridden there on the wheels of their initial explanation.  I have to ask also, why the police were unaware of the irreplaceable role that Amateur radio had played during 911, in a town only 1-hour drive south of NYC?  At least the gas station attendant assumed we were legit.
    Let's not let it happen here.

2. KC0MDC

KC0MDC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an undeniable fact that people will almost always question that which they do not know.  To see a cellular antenna on a vehicle is becoming normal, to see a number of items hanging off of a vehicle is intriguing to most.  I've had the opportunity to educate a number of people about amateur radio by answering their curiosities about the antennaes on my vehicle or the HT sitting on my desk in my office, and I do see this as an opportunity [​IMG]   In the past, anybody who was walking around carrying a radio was considered to be someone of importance or responsibility.  With technology allowing us to carry smaller radios, people will still be inclined to ask, 'What's that for, are you a cop?'  Truth is, while many of my friends didn't understand either, as the tornado sirens went off in our town a couple of weeks ago, they were calmed by the idea that I knew what was going on.  They realize now that my radio isn't about me being important, but it's about a hobby and public service. [​IMG]

Tim  kc0mdc

3. KB2VUQ

KB2VUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Today, there are many people using the
    $19.00 and up Family Radio Service radios
    on UHF.

Children, families, small busineses and
    social organizations are using them
    as short range coomunicators.

Being unlicensed devices, they make an
    easy to purchase and operate tool
    for people who choose not to get an
    amateur license.
    No testing, no fees. Pretty simple.

However...
    There are other types of people using
    them too. We call them criminals.
    Home invaders, car thieves, burglars,
    drug dealers and professional
    shoplifting teams to name a few.

Being that these "radios" look very much
    like the HT's we hams use, you just have
    to keep in mind that the police are more
    accustomed to the criminal usage of
    these radios as the other tools of the
    criminal trade.

My wife (KC2GXN) and I (KB2VUQ) are both
    hams and use a pair of VX-5R's for short range
    communications, from time to time.

We've been "casually" asked several times
    about our radios. We don't take it personally,
    as we simply reply "we are licensed ham radio
    operators" .

Since the events of 9/11/2001,
    you really can't question the motives of
    the curious ones.
    They are just as concerned about national
    security and homeland defense as we are!

As hams, we are trained in emergency
    communications and procedures.
    The average citizens are not.

They are simply told to report anything
    suspicious to the authorities.

Pick up a phone and call the police.

That's probably what happpened to you.

Of course, the police officer responded
    the way he was trained.

He investigated the report of suspicious
    people with radios.

Upon arrival, he found the two people
    the caller decsribed.

If you'll refer to the earlier sentence of
    the people he usually runs into
    with those radios...criminals,
    you can understand his attitude.

His department and Chief needs the re-education
    about amateur radio.

Then it might trickle down to his level.
    Coming from higher authority than a
    previously reported suspicious person
    may change things.

Until then, I'll just keep letting
    the police and citizens do what
    they feel is right.

Maybe we can avoid another 9/11/2001
    if our new sense of national pride,
    awareness and civic duty keep up.

Don't take it personally, just smile.

Best Regards,
    Dennis

4. Guest

Guest Guest

It seems that in some places, local officials welcome the Amateur Radio Operator with open arms, while in other places, they have absolutley no use at all for them.

My suggestion would be to see if you could invite them to field day. Of course if your is a community where elected officials have no use for ham radio, then probably not worth the effort. [​IMG]

5. WA2POC

WA2POC Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us not forget the old saw "the longest trip in the world begins with a single step." This applies to the matter at hand as well. The total disappearance of our freedoms begins with a small incursion into those freedoms. To the extent that we accept or justify the actions of that policement, we are accepting a diminution of our rights and our freedoms. He had ABSOLUTELY no right to treat you the way he did. To question you? OK. I'll accept that much. But no-one, to the best of my knowledge, has amended the constitution to appoint the poilce and the judiaciary to the position of God. We simply CANNOT accept such actions, no matter how seemingly "innocent" or "unimportant" they may be. If we are not constantly alert, if we are not constantly willing to fight back, we will enjoy no freedom.

6. K0XU

K0XU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MB - check your attitude.
    >So you go the police station with an attitude. You >wrote:
    >"...do a little educating..." What an arrogant bastard >you are. I am not one to cow-tow to authority, but I >have the commnon sense to know that you do NOT >walk into a police station expecting to educate THEM. >No, the useful attitude would have been to walk in >there, ready to ask enough questions to determine why >there was any issue at all with what you were doing.

When I am accosted in a public place by someone with an attitude I tend to reply with a like attitude. If I am asked politely what I am doing I answer politely, if I am asked rudely, I will answer less politely. If I percieve that maybe a minion of the law is operating with less than average tact I may just talk to his superior. With an attitude like that he is a danger to himself and those around him.

Jim

7. wb9hnj

wb9hnj Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks we may as well face it...on 9-11 the terrorists won the war...we as a country have never been more afraid of our own shadow and of our neighbors. We wave flags in the daylight and cock our guns at night. If you are doing something such as talking on a HT in public where someone doesnt understand what it is with Mr. Bush's national security force you're likely going to get questioned about it. Everything has changed...we now have terror instilled in our hearts....a war won.

8. N2INC

N2INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations. Ever wonder why non-hams regard some amateurs as unusual, egocentric or even disheveled? (been to a hamfest lately?)
    Answer the officers question. Keep your hands in plain view. Produce the requested documents when asked.
    Until you have worked a district, whether in a city or the country, you really don't have a clue.
    He has the obligation to put himself between danger and the citizen. He runs to remedy situations that would cause you to wet yourself.
    Shut up, get over it and be nice next time.

Been there, done that.Cops have to protect whiners too.

9. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me zee your paperz ya? Heil! Heil! Heil! What purpose is your assemblage here? We have wayz of deeeling with people like you Herr attitude! To the Gulag with you! Supreme leader will be pleased with me for crushing the spirit of those who fear him!

Looks like the terrorists won to me.

10. K8TMK

K8TMK Ham Member QRZ Page

A year or so ago officers in two area township police departments confiscated amateur walkie talkies that were just lying on the passenger seat beside the drivers (its legal for hams to carry scanners in their vehicles here in Michigan).

After some conversation (perhaps because a local judge is a ham), the radios were returned with letters of apology.

Even though the law says we are legal anyway, Michigan State Police offer an easy-to-get permit for those who may want a little more proof.

In another recent event, a ham friend was stopped in a mall parking lot in Mishawaka Indiana for talking on his radio while driving. The officer indicated that they were cracking down on drivers using cell phones while driving (even though it wasn't a law yet&#33[​IMG]. The officer was advised that it was not a cell phone, but he said that didn't matter. Nothing more came of the confrontation, but I guess some officers have nothing better to do than enforce non-existent laws on private property!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

MY SKYWARN STICKER GOT MY MOM OUT OF A HEAVY TICKET..........................BUT THAT WAS A CITY AWAY. HERE IN WATAUGA, A COP ASK ME WHAT I'M DOING (HOW OFTEN DO YOU SEE A 12 YR. OLD WITH 5 HT'S ON HIS BELT?) BUT I REPLY TO THEM NICELY, AND WALK OFF.............. [​IMG]

12. W6TH

W6TH Guest

I stopped at a 7-11 store to get 2 cups of cappuccino for my xyl and myself.  A man came over and asked if I lived on West 6th street.

Little is known as to license plates, even in California.
                         73,  W6th

13. K5ADF

K5ADF Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with a previous response. The police were acting in a disrespectful manner. A friendlier tone usually results in a non-defensive response. We have a right to pursue our lives in a private manner without having to explain to any authority what we are doing or why as long as we are obeying the current laws. Using a HT in public is not against the law. When we allow the police to stop anyone for any reason and question what they are doing, where they have been or where they are going, then we have taken a giant step towards a totalian government. We cannot allow this to happen.

I remember in University in the early 70's when students would reword the bill of rights, a cornerstone of our freedom, in the current language, place it on a petition and stand in a public place asking people to sign it. Many would refuse since it was too "radical". How quickly people would give up our fundamental rights and for what? The events of last September were horrible, but let us not let them win by giving up our rights and creating a police state.

14. KC0MDC

KC0MDC Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted a response earlier in the thread, but after reading some of these other ones I'm a bit discouraged about our ham community.  I'm relatively new to amateur radio, and part of the reason I got into it was for public service and the friendships that can be made.  I don't understand the hostility in some of the previous postings.  Calling each other bastards and such is no way to preserve our beloved hobby.  MANYpeople don't understand amateur radio, just like alot of other things in our lives.  If somebody questions it, try to educate them.  If they'll have nothing of the kind, so be it.  Alot of people get defensive in what they believe is an unusual situation (someone walking around with an unusual radio), it's human nature.  Just because someone is ignorant or just plain doesn't understand something, is that good reason to create an altercation...I don't think so, or we'd be at each other's throats everyday [​IMG] .    Relax, enjoy the hobby, let's stay off each others throat and educate so that we can preserve our hobby for a long long time.

15. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb2vuq @ May 12 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">However...
    There are other types of people using
    them too. We call them criminals.
    Home invaders, car thieves, burglars,
    drug dealers and professional
    shoplifting teams to name a few.

Being that these "radios" look very much
    like the HT's we hams use, you just have
    to keep in mind that the police are more
    accustomed to the criminal usage of
    these radios as the other tools of the
    criminal trade.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Most tools can be used in the criminal trade.

Somehow I doubt simply using an HT is what aroused this officer's suspicion of him.

When visiting Clingman's Dome in the Great Smokey Mountains, I was standing in the parking lot below the Dome' with my 70cm HT with a 10 element Yagi. One of the park police crused up and asked "What are you doing?", kind of abruptly. I replied, "Talking to a guy in Athens, Georgia.". He gave a big grin and said "We need one of those, our radios don't work half the time.".

-- Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.