Pole Pig HV Transformer- where are they?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, Dec 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Increasing the voltage was the only reasonable cost option with the increased electrical demand. Changing insulators and transformers is less expensive vs changing conductor size.

KU3X and K0UO like this.
  2. I do not know if this is regular elsewhere but i live on a small street in Alabama with only about 4 pole pig transformers.

I don't think they are anywhere else in the neighborhood but here is a picture upload_2020-10-20_10-31-1.png

K6GB likes this.
  3. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our substations were recently upgraded. Our feeder system from to homes are all underground and the primary voltage is 14.5kV.

According to my Kill A Watt meter at this time, the voltage to my amp is 246.6 Volts and the "120V" outlet voltage is 123.3Volts.

Pheel

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo... Poly Chlorinated Biphenyl is a carcinogen.

Back in the 80's the driver of a tanker full of transformer oil decided he didn't want to make the long trip to the facility where they dispose of the stuff. So he opened the drain valve on the tanker in Wilmington NC and started driving to Charlotte, NC in the wee hours of the morning on highway 74.

An astute Highway Patrolman saw him draining the carcinogen on the side of the highway as he crossed the Mecklenburg County line. He was arrested for the crime and it cost the state of North Carolina millions of dollars to remove the polluted soil from the side of the road. It's a four-hour drive from Wilmington, NC to Charlotte, NC. Many miles and a lot of carcinogen. The state of NC did not close highway 74 as they should have; but, they had road signs up along the route warning motorists not to pull over to the side of the highway. I hope that idiot is still incarcerated for that heinous crime.

5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Luckily, the transformer feeding my house is a couple of houses away, no telling how old it is, we lose a couple in the hood every year. My own house is blended, most of the house is still knob and tube wiring, the bathrooms and kitchen are modern, 3 wire with a new panel and solar, but that feeds the old fuse box from 1925. I installed a new 30 amp circuit for the shack.

6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked to one gentleman who claimed that PCBs are known to be carcinogens only when oxidized ( burned, etc. ). He claimed that regarding a lawsuit involving the storage of that material, one party actually ingested ( drank ) PCB transformer oil as proof that he thought the substance inert until oxidized. I would not recommend this demonstration, nor can I say that I am a chemist. Yet the action of dumping any chemical ( even salt water with traces of oil ) known to be hazardous to human life is certainly worth prosecuting. In other words, if you see a 'pole pig' on fire, get far away from it upwind and notify 911 or the fire department in that order. Do not 'sniff' the air if it smells like tar- get your family and pets upwind and far in case the wind shifts.

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, I found three pole pigs! Hurricane Zeta left three of them on a car in New Orleans yesterday.

[​IMG]

KP4SX likes this.
  8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ouch!

9. WO1X

WO1X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They look in better shape than the one in my neighborhood!

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the day pole pigs were very available. Then OSHA got involved.

Proper disposal seems very strict.