Pole Pig HV Transformer- where are they?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, Dec 4, 2019 at 9:02 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

30 years ago the 'Pole Pig' transformers were advertised for sale a fair amount. These were from the utility power companies and usually removed from the oil bath can. Some were 2400 volt out and others at 4100 volts out. I believe the smallest was a 5KVA (5KW) and would power about anything. Shipping was usually more expensive then the transformer itself.

I have not seen any for sale for years.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I did not think of that.

K3XR likes this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we have collectively hurt their feelings by referring to them as "pigs". They don't look like pigs at all, more like trash cans. Pole Trash?

PCB's haven't been used in 40 years now, I can't see that being the issue too often. Also, the most common distribution feed is 7200V nowadays in the US, might be higher actually, this was some years ago.

NE1U and K0UO like this.
  5. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw literally tons in Florida on my last visit. (2 years ago)
    7200V
    Left over from the Hurricane hardening process.
    They were actually listing them on Craigslist along with treated poles.

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most power companies have moved above 10KV. 13.8KV being common. This started in the 80s. Very few areas have lower voltage pigs.

Ed

K0UO likes this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's plenty of us Ham that our XYL's call Pigs!

Seriously the voltage is the big thing, I still have 7200 volts feeding my Ranch but that's not the norm anymore.
    The other thing was 40 to 50 years ago a lot of pole pigs got taken out of service because they were full of a Transformer oil called PCB.

I know that small municipalities utilities or scrap dealers jhelum tahan's Ross old and very cheap nobody knew about PCBs or didn't care at that time

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

If you were in North Eastern PA, I would give you one for free.
    Barry

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The "target" range of the average distribution network these days is 7,200 VAC or 14,400 VAC. Running 6,900 VAC or 13,800 VAC is on the low side and the highest voltage usually does not exceed 7,800 VAC or 15,600 VAC. In some of the older areas of certain metropolitan areas, there are still systems running 4,200 VAC to 4,800 VAC.

The oldest "high tension" lines generally run 69 kV. Much more common HT lines run 138 kV or 345 kV. There are even lines running as much as 483 kV, 552 kV, and a whopping 621 kV. The higher the voltage, be it distribution voltage or high tension voltage, the more "wattage" can be run over the same size conductors. This is because current is the limiting factor and not voltage. Of course, the insulators do have to be able to handle the higher voltage.

Glen, K9STH

KU3X and K0UO like this.