ad: cq2k-1

[Poilicy Q] The 10 minute rule.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5GPK, Apr 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First of all, think of all the ink I have saved over the years by having only 1 "N" in my name!

As for identifying: The rules are very specific in that you must identify every 10-minutes, OR less, during the "communication" and at the end of the "communication". Now, if you haven't transmitted since the last time you identified, then there is no need to identify at the "10-minute" point. That is, if the conversation has not gotten "around" to you again. You have not "communicated" during that period of time. Also, if, for some reason, you have to leave the roundtable before identifying again, you have complied with the "at the end of the communication" regulations because you identified at the end of the last "communication" that you made.

To comply with this, whenever I am in a QSO with more than 1-station, I ALWAYS give my call sign when I turn it over to the next station. I don't say "for i.d." or anything else. When I am conversing with only 1-station, then I try to keep track and identify within the 10-minute period. It takes less than 2-seconds for me to give my call and, frankly, no one even pays attention to this. However, by doing that, I don't even come close to violating the regulations.

Glen, K9STH

2. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoooosh! It's going over my head...

Come to think of it, I am feeling a bit slow-witted today. Must be that calamari I ate last night (only because my wife made me eat it).

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard some gabbing on and on with no ID especially on VHF and UHF simplex channels where they may think nobody ever listens! Like it was a private intercom.
    Another unlikely place to ignore the ID rules is 60M SSB where I have heard groups gabbing on and on with no ID. This is a place where the Official Monitors would be very likely to be listening !!!

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

NO, I disagree. It would be MY obligation to ID MY station, no matter what. And saying "for ID" is silly; why else would you feel you have to give your call sign? "This is KC9UDX" or just "KD9UDX" would be all that's required. And due to FCC requirements, that wouldn't be considered malicious interference.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or you could use KE9UDX to see if they are on their toes :)

The AM broadcasters around here apparently have recently been chastised for not IDing since they are all now making uncomfortable attempts to comply. One I listen to a lot finally made a 'spot' that they could post with the ads at the top of the hour. Frankly I don't think the announcers know the call letters since they have never used them :)

The newly created spot had the wrong call letters! I did notify them and they have since re-done it but still don't do very well with compliance.

Yeah, Don't Stop The Carnival...

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not talking about trying to identify for you. I have heard guys do that and it makes no sense to me. I'm not concerned about the FCC thinking I'm not IDing either when I do. But there are times when it would confuse the conversation if I didn't say why I was saying my callsign. Suppose I were reading a list of silent keys' callsigns!

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's immaterial, the FCC rules are not. You MUST ID in at least 10 minute intervals, whether or not you are part of the current "conversation." If it confuses anyone, it might t be a good reminder to them to ID, and let someone else either get on the air or repeater, rather than tying things up with a soliloquy on a single frequency.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SVD:

Not absolutely true.

If you haven't transmitted since giving your last identification, then you are NOT required to identify every 10-minutes even though you remain a part of the round-table. You are only required to identify within 10-minutes of your last identification if you have made any transmissions since giving that identification. If no transmission, no requirement to identify.

Glen, K9STH

9. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I think that this is the clearest understanding here. The communications are distinct by definition, the first is a one way, and the second is two way.