ad: SMHam-1

[Poilicy Q] The 10 minute rule.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5GPK, Apr 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE3LDJ

VE3LDJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KG5GPK,

You ID'd within the first 10 minute period. You ID'd within the 2nd 10 minute period.

period.

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

But more than 10 minutes passed between identification. That's what matters.

One can't ID at minute 1 and again at minute 19 and be legal for two ten minute periods.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

At least not for U.S. licensees. Canadian rules may differ.

4. KC9UDX

Very true. I think Canadian rules are different, but don't recall how.

5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob has it right. I get into lengthy qso's on HF and higher up the bands. I ID at the beginning and end of each transmission just to be safe. You can't go wrong.
    As an OO, I don't get too crazy about the 10 minute rule unless it is obvious your are not willing to give your call sign.

KN7S - OO in the Upper Left Coast

6. KC9UDX

Round here you might hear from an OO if you ID at the beginning and end of each 5 second transmission over a repeater!

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a repeater around here where that was exactly the standard practice for several years. I guess it annoyed enough people that usage eventually dropped to zero and now it's just another dead repeater.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just amazed how many licensed operators don't understand a simple rule.

9. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

One could just state his call sign within the ten minute interval on the repeater input frequency, but that would probably be bad form. In reality, the FCC will likely not go after somebody for identifying at reasonably more than the ten minute interval unless the interval is much longer and/or other violations are noted.

Of course, adding the words, "for ID" are not a legal requirement. ;)

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here ya go... :)