[Poilicy Q] The 10 minute rule.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5GPK, Apr 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5GPK

KG5GPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Me:"KG5GPK listening"
    People: talk talk
    5 minutes later
    Me: "talk" <-- without call sign
    People: talk talk
    --7 minutes later---
    me: "(talk) KG5GPK clear"

Would that be in policy violation?

In my opinion it would not, I Suppose interpreted different.

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

It s not a policy--it is an FCC Rule. There is a difference

3. KG5GPK

KG5GPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok. Well Would you care to post your opinnion on it? Sorry for mis-posting it.

4. KJ4UQT

KJ4UQT Ham Member QRZ Page

If your going to stay with the group you need to ID every 10 minute's.

You ID'd ( start timer )

5 minutes later you talked ( that's 5 minutes )

7 minutes later you talked and then ID ( that's 12 minutes )

I would say in this case you were wrong.. you should of ID when you started to talked the second time.

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a rule the FCC uses to add to other concerns the FCC has about a problem operator.
    They used to be real sticklers and the rule meant exactly what the rule stated. They can still do that.

Now, it's not a problem if you, by circumstances, exceed the 10 minute rule unless you do that a lot and by a farther margin then a 2 minute slide.
    They come down on those that fail to identify for hours and sometimes never. Like I stated, it's usually an add on to other things the operator has been doing.
    Like intentional interference, jamming, playing music and generally being a poor operator in these regards.
    It can be an add on for running too much power and the FCC can prove that. Failure to allow a station inspection and generally being openly belligerent to actions by the FCC.

So, relax, I doubt they'd nail you for intentionally failing to ID for a simple slip (they still could though:p).

Have fun
    Gary

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you saying you could not ID within 10 minutes because of repeater hogs? That happens a lot here -- no one lets the repeater unkey and waits a bit before they reply.

7. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I might be doing it wrong, but here goes. When I'm on HF and am rag chewing I always at the end of my talking say w9rlg Central Indiana back to lets say k9sth texas. Sorry Glenn just using you call sign cause I know it don't mean any disrespect. I do the same thing on a repeater also and i usually identify at the begining of eaach transmission, that way I know I stay legal. This is just me!!!

Bob

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Strictly speaking, it would be. It would be good practice to have said your call after the "talk".

However, I don't think FCC will make a big deal of it. It's a fine point.

Where the 10 minute rule has come into play is when folks do stuff like talking for half an hour with no ID, or signing off with no ID, etc. Particularly when it's clear they are not ID'ing for a reason.

9. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard guys on 40 meters yak for 45 minutes without a single ID from any station on the frequency. I've heard locals on 2 meters talk for two hours without a single ID. During that time, several left the frequency and then came back later and rejoined the QSO -- all without any call signs. Those are the kind of violations that could get one a violation notification. Going for 12 minutes without an ID -- instead of 10 -- probably is a non-issue. Then there are the guys on 75 meters who do ID every 10 minutes but make sure they ALL ID at the same time so that by talking on top of one another, not a single call sign can be understood. As far as I can tell, this is done to purposely obscure their identifies but is it illegal? I leave this to others to decide.

10. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like it was vi a repeater.

If it was analog FM - Rules violations.

If it was a digital mode such as D-Star, you're OK as each D-Star transmission contains your call sign.