Pneumatic dipole antenna launching devices

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W1RLP, Aug 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1RLP

W1RLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone I need to get my dipole antenna up high. My trees are too tall for a fishing pole launching so I'm looking for advice or recommendations on a pneumatic launching devices

2. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried searching "line launchers" yet? There's about a million good threads here concerning all methods of getting lines up in trees, tall medium and short. You will thus find about an estimated 5 to 10 million mostly really good answers about slingshots, spud guns, arborist's slings, can launchers, ChuckIt! dog ball throwers, catapults, wrist rockets, water bottles, crossbows, beginner's bow and arrow set, grappling hook launchers, and probably a dozen more methods I've already forgotten it's so overwhelming.

WN1MB and K2XT like this.
  3. W1WWW

W1WWW Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.n1fd.org/2016/10/14/antenna-launcher/
    This is very similar to mine except mine has an electric trigger. The dimensions don't seem to be critical as I've seen shorter, fatter and straightline versions. Some use tennis balls which I think are safer but are harder to punch through foliage and they bounce around more I've used both types. I use a separate fishing pole with the largest diameter closed casting reel I could find. Some attach the reel to the launcher but I worry about something snapping and coming back at my face plus the pole helps in pulling the string back through.. Either way pressure and projectile weights take some getting used to. Good luck, good launching.

4. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrist rocket sling shot hooked up to a fishing reel . Easy

6. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

pneumatic launching device = SPUD GUN!
    Check you tube

W4IOA likes this.
  7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

A word to the wise...

OSHA forbids using PVC pipe for pressure service.

Rege

WN1MB, AJ5J and N0TZU like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rege is right about this. PVC is a shrapnel bomb if it fails when used for air rather than water. This is because the air acts as a propellant of the pieces because it’s compressible, whereas water isn’t.

AJ5J likes this.
  9. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

KI7HSB likes this.
  10. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those that have built one - can you use a simple 3/4" plumbing ball valve (90 degree operation) to trigger this type of air cannon? In other words, can you flip a ball valve fast enough to effectively launch the projectile? The ones I've used in the past (for plumbing) are pretty stiff to operate and might not be the best method to trigger a fast air supply ....

Something like this

[​IMG]