Pledge?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AC9SF, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We do in my current club and we did in my former club in Nebraska. Some areas of the country and people groups are more patriotic than others.
    Some people look for any excuse possible to not do traditional or patriotic things in case an odd person becomes ' offended ' .

Heck some clubs even kickoff meals / picnics with an actual PRAYER. That should make the liberals heads explode. We do keep it
    non- sectarian ( i.e. the Jewish guys insist its not in Jesus' name )....

IMO, if the pledge to the US flag offends you, just stand out of respect to the country you are in and others but don't say anything. Don't be a
    self centered jerk and sit or kneel or anything else that is insulting.

2. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty liberal and don't care for over the top patriotism, but if the Pledge is being recited I will stand and recite it. I just leave out the "one nation under God" part. Too many soldiers have given their lives in defense of my right to be a liberal to not show respect.

N2EY likes this.
  3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is that many club officers might think that an invocation and our the pledge are necessary under Robert's Rules of Order
    However, Robert's Rules does not mandate it as part of the opening ceremonies.

N2EY likes this.
  4. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Religion probably has been used as much as political beliefs to create conflict.

Years ago we used to have a WW II souvenir, a SS ceremonial dagger. The inscription on the blade was the German equivalent of "GOD WITH US".