Pledge?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AC9SF, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We do in my current club and we did in my former club in Nebraska. Some areas of the country and people groups are more patriotic than others.
    Some people look for any excuse possible to not do traditional or patriotic things in case an odd person becomes ' offended ' .

Heck some clubs even kickoff meals / picnics with an actual PRAYER. That should make the liberals heads explode. We do keep it
    non- sectarian ( i.e. the Jewish guys insist its not in Jesus' name )....

IMO, if the pledge to the US flag offends you, just stand out of respect to the country you are in and others but don't say anything. Don't be a
    self centered jerk and sit or kneel or anything else that is insulting.

K6LPM and W5ESE like this.
  2. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty liberal and don't care for over the top patriotism, but if the Pledge is being recited I will stand and recite it. I just leave out the "one nation under God" part. Too many soldiers have given their lives in defense of my right to be a liberal to not show respect.

WI3U and N2EY like this.
  3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is that many club officers might think that an invocation and our the pledge are necessary under Robert's Rules of Order
    However, Robert's Rules does not mandate it as part of the opening ceremonies.

N2EY likes this.
  4. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Religion probably has been used as much as political beliefs to create conflict.

Years ago we used to have a WW II souvenir, a SS ceremonial dagger. The inscription on the blade was the German equivalent of "GOD WITH US".

5. N9NY

N9NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Great post!

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall this thread when it was first started. I expect the outcome now will be about the same as it was 2 or so years ago.

Cabin fever setting in? Try learning CW, participate in a contest or make up your own phonetic alphabet.

WD0BCT likes this.
  7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya know, I say dont rock the boat. Whether you agree or dont agree it is best to show some respect to the people who do or do not do whatever tradition that they do when holding their activity. It is best to go with the flow and show some respect rather than trying to demand respect of others because you dont agree or care for it. If its an issue, arrive late or start your own group. But to make an issue of some tradition whether its the Pledge of Alligance or prayer to Allah , dance the hokey pokey or whatever else it is, just show some respect and do as the romans or quietly excuse yourself. If it is blatantly offensive just leave. If it bothers you so much, use a public forum such as here or the newspaper editorial page or other place where you can constructively and respectully voice your concern. When in Rome, do as the Romans, is what I say. Different strokes for different folks.

8. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian, I hope you know me by now. This is not a personal "shot across the bow".

I feels tacky quoting myself but in the interest of convenience...

I have one reaction to anyone that openly disrespects my flag, my country, the pledge, or my oath, a quiet and unassuming rage.
    I manage to contain that rage somewhat better these days but it's still there.

Hiding out in the basement must be having it's effect. I actually responded to the thread notification. :oops:

9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dennis , thank you for not shooting any warning shots across my bow. I sincerely appreciate both that and your contribution to the discussions we post here on QRZ.
    Yes, that is a good example of why I make such a point. It is much better to show some respect for the others that are participating and do as they do and participate in their ceremony and traditions. Rather than to offend the others and show poor judgement and lack of respect by acting out in protest. If for instance the Pledge of Alligance is not your thing or how you were brought up, perhaps maybe you should learn more about the how and why of its importance is to the others who proclaim such a solemn oath.
    An example is those young ignorant football players that act out in protest. Do they do their ownself and their cause any justice in acting out inappropriately with such protest? No! It certainly doesnt earn any points for respect. If I have any feelings for them, it is not respect, its more like pity if anything at all. I believe it is like this with many things. If you show some respect, you usually will reap respect in return. But if you are disruptive and demanding of others to respect you for your protesting and creation of strife? Well that isnt a effective, productive or constructive way of sharing your feelings or point of view. There are many things that cross multicultural boundaries that we might be completely clueless of and my point is to respect those who have a strong faith that you may not understand. If everyone in the room is standing, removing their hat and placing their hand over their heart, maybe it is something you may not understand but certainly would seem like the proper thing to do! It is far better to have some social grace than to fail and create attention upon yourself and then make things worse by acting out of shame and embarrassment or even ignorance.
    The solemness and seriousness of many others beliefs and feelings might not be fully understood but might run quite deeper than what appears on the surface. If we are gathered with others in a group it is because we have been accepted ss a part of that group. Would you not support those that are a part of you group? Better to be a part of than to be apart from... Dennis is a part of the group that is here and I support and respect his feelings. There is a very strong reason for his convictions and it would be very juvenile and selfish to disrupt his solemn ceremony by protesting with disruptive actions like these NFL players do on national televised sports events. Certainly doesnt win any respect from anyone smart or mature enough to have proper etiquette, dignity and class!
    I hope you understand that I agree with you. I think I was trying to generalize with my previous post and emphasize that such behaviour applies in a whole multitude of circumstances or cultural situations.
    It wasnt any arguement for or against one particular viewpoint. But more emphasis on regardless of a viewpoint when in social situations it is best to show respect and not be disruptive in your participation.

K3UJ likes this.