Pledge?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AC9SF, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AC9SF

AC9SF Ham Member QRZ Page

A number of clubs I have attended begin each meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance. My home club does not. Does your club? If not, why not. Is it a concensus of the members views, one or the other, or has the subject just never come up for discussion? Not advocating one or another, just curious.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never been to a club meeting that has a Pledge of Allegiance - and I assume you're talking about the Pledge of Allegiance to the USA... not the Pledge of Allegiance to the DX Gods and Our Lady of Blessed Plate Voltage...

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Realize that everyone in ham radio in the USA isn't necessarily a US citizen.

Many of them are citizens of other countries here on valid visa's etc. You can't openly expect citizens of other countries to cite the American Pledge of Allegiance.

For example, if you're a US citizen living abroad in England for whatever reason, would you cite the Oath of Allegiance to the Queen of England while attending one of their radio club meetings in the UK?

I didn't think so...

It's not about the American Pledge of Allegiance in itself either. I have nothing against the Pledge of Allegiance. I have many times, and will continue to affirm my Pledge of Allegiance all day long.

What I am talking about is promoting exclusionary behavior toward individuals who are living here from abroad.

The fact club members are required to do this as part of a routine ritual creates the impression that only US citizens need apply.

I appreciate that some clubs have a sense of patriotism, but I think it's simply an inappropriate club policy if their intention is to attract any new prospective members.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    WD4IGX and AE7BT like this.
  5. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

local clubs seem to do this. i think it's unnecessary.

KC5SAS and AE7BT like this.
  6. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, Jehovas Witnesses and others who don’t do the pledge on religious grounds aren’t welcome in your club?
    I don’t do amateur radio to put my patriotism on display. There are other ways of doing that.

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Both clubs I belong to do the pledge before every meeting, and one even does a prayer. Never seen anyone get up and leave over it. We also do a prayer before club meals for field day, etc... We've also done a number of training courses in churches, and as a general rule there is a prayer before every class. Doesn't bother or offend me in any way.

8. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Subscriber QRZ Page

Both clubs I belong to, including the one I'm President of, say the Pledge at the start of each meeting.

9. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I belong to 3 clubs. The first is the most informal ham club on the planet. We meet weekly for dinner, mostly as a social function,. We announce almost zero "formal" meetings, and there has never been a pledge during the 4 years I have been a member.

We have leased a small section of Forest Service land for many years where a cinder block operating site was constructed many years ago. We do fly an appropriate quality 24 / 7 outdoor Flag at the clubsite., and have lights on a timer to keep it company at night. On that secluded hilltop it would be very easy to steal our Flag, but it has never been bothered, Not even by the persons who occasionally tear up our "front yard".

The other two clubs do start meetings with the Pledge. To my knowledge that has never been questioned. If someone chose not to participate, and remained respectfully silent during those pledges, I doubt that would be a cause for concern. I won't know for sure till it happens the first time. Perhaps I ought to ask both boards about that.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s not done in the two clubs I belong to. It could be I suppose, but I don’t see why it would be appropriate. It’s a hobby club meeting.

AE7BT likes this.