Please watch out. SCAMMER

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N9ZDZ, Nov 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i got an email from this person saying she wanted to buy my radio for her husband . I gave her my mailing address and she said that was find but the kicker is we never set a price.
    So I am sure its a scam . Here is what she sent me.
    Please contact me if you accept Certified Check or Cashier's Check for the sale of your AD and if not, PLEASE do not bother reply this message.
    Melissa Ragole
    Her email is mrag857@gmail.com.

2. K4DVW

K4DVW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Got the same response from my ad too. When I asked for call sign, they disappeared. Same name. Warnings on QTH also. Not sure what they are trying to do.

N9ZDZ and W7UUU like this.
  3. N3AB

N3AB Ham Member QRZ Page

Got this four times for 4 different ads I had on QTH.com yesterday:

Name: Melissa Ragole
    Callsign: 8056115212
    E-mail: mrag857@gmail.com
    IP Address: 74.82.35.92 -- (Check IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/74.82.35.92)

The response is:

Please contact me if you accept Certified Check or Cashier's Check for the sale of your AD and if not, PLEASE do not bother reply this message.

N9ZDZ likes this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KB3VWG, KF5RRF and N9ZDZ like this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    KB3VWG, AJ4GQ, KF5RRF and 1 other person like this.
  6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like it could be the old fake cashier's check way over the agreed price scam, asking the seller to return the extra, and then leaving them on the hook when the check turns out to be fake.

N9ZDZ likes this.
  7. K4DVW

Here is the new email I just received:

Good morning!

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving & how are you doing today?

I really have to take my time to write this to you in order to keep you updated or informed. My friend and I were admitted into the Hospital since last night due to a car wreck we had on our way back home. But I just thank God it's not that much but I am presently receiving treatment.

I just received a notification and I just want to update you - I have a good news for you regarding the payment! Just heard from my financial broker's secretary that the payment has been approved and issued out to you and that you will be receiving it today but there is a big problem, because she informed me that she sent out the whole amount they are owing me instead of them to just send you the amount for the item I am purchasing from you, I was so mad at them when I heard this because I don't know if my money will be safe with you when you get it.... But I do believe it's safe because the Bible ask to trust others so we can also be trusted. Please .. may I know if my money will be safe with you when you get the payment and send the remaining funds to me after you deduct the amount for the order I made towards purchasing of your item placed on the website?

I will really appreciate if you can get the remaining of my money sent back after you might have deducted your amount for the item.

Kindly email me back as soon as you receive this email. Here is the UPS Tracking Number : J4624509564 . Thank you so much & God Bless you.

Melissa

P.S - Please send me a phone number I can use to text you this morning.

8. K4DVW

Latest email today:

On 11/23/2018 8:27 AM, Melissa Ragole wrote:
    Thanks so much for your prompt response. I checked online with UPS, the payment package is enroute to you. You should probably have it today. Having said that, kindly send me your cell phone number so that I can text you later today. We will probably have efficient communication through that medium. Thanks for your understanding and do have a great day.

9. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

never seen ups move so fast hi hi

10. K4DVW

Received her check today. Was drawn on First Hawaiian Bank for twice the amount of the item I was selling. VERY GOOD looking cashiers check. It was sent Overnight Priority Express UPS. The tracking number was correct. Return address was from Montana, package was mailed from UPS in Kansas. IP address of scammer was in California. Turned the check over to my neighbor who works at the local Police Department. He said he will run it down and advise.

N5PZJ, KB3VWG, KB4QAA and 4 others like this.