ad: elecraft

Please Respect the Frequencies for SSTV and QRP

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by CT2KFQ, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. IU2EFB

IU2EFB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello to everybody!
    I am on the black list mentioned in the first post of this topic. I apologize if I have been calling on an SSTv frequency on that day. I will look more carefully to the band plan I have on my shack before starting to call on a specific frequency. I can understand the frustration of the Sstv operators and I respect their point of view. I guess the band plan is made to have the frequencies more organised and make sure everybody can have equal fun and enjoy the radio.
    Best 73 to all
    Giampaolo Spera IU2EFB

M1WML, BANDRUNNER, W0PV and 6 others like this.
  2. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Newbies can make an honest mistake, too. I forgot to refer to the band plan when I returned home from passing my General and eagerly started Tx-ing. It was this thread that reminded me to check! Here's the one I refer to now: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf

M1WML, N2ZD and W9EBE like this.
  3. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem making a mistake, even seasoned hams (lol) make mistakes. It happens, my beef (lol) is with the replies. If you can’t be a gentleman, then find another hobby or service.
    With the “lack of hams” everyone talks about, there should be plenty of room. Go to 10 meters and there’s plenty of space! Half the people on 40 and 80 are talking to their neighbors anyway.

But that’s neither here nor there.

It’s just nice when everyone works together and that is what fosters new people in, the only people who want to communicate with selfish dopes, is those attracted to that type of activity.

“You reap what you sow.”

M1WML, KD5WW and WQ4G like this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Better look at those 'band plans' again... The FCC does define what mode(s) may be used in different parts of the 20 meter (and other) Ham bands.

A few simple questions MIGHT prove my point...

What mode(s) is/are allowed at 14.020 MHz? Is A3 (phone) allowed at 14.020 MHz? What mode(s) is/are allowed at 21.100 MHz? Are the 'allowable' modes at those frequencies set by 'law' or by 'gentlemen's agreement?'

Why do some people have difficulty following (formal or informal) rules? Why is 'make me' one of the most common phrases uttered now days?

IMO, failure to enforce rules or to maintain discipline leads to demoralization and penalizes the innocent instead of the guilty...

Dan WQ4G

M1WML, ND6M and N2ZD like this.
  5. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many moons ago I stumbled on to 14.230, didn't hear anything that sounded like any kind of signal, and I even asked "Is this frequency in use?". When I heard nothing, I started calling CQ. After a couple of calls, somebody got on and said that 14.230 has been the SSTV frequency for years. Later on I found the ARRL band plan that actually identified 14.230 as being used for SSTV. Don't know if anybody was actually doing SSTV at that time, since I'm pretty sure I would have heard the sweeps, but I've tried to steer clear ever since.

Seems like there's a large band to use, so if 14.230 has an agreement to be designated for a specific purpose, I don't see why all the flack for showing some professional courtesy and leaving it for that purpose.

M1WML, W7DAZ, N2ZD and 1 other person like this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's just a 'watering hole'. In my opinion, if there's nobody at the watering hole, go ahead and drink! The problems start when those Alligators and Snapping Turtles crawl up out the mud and nip at your leg.

M1WML, W4POT and WQ4G like this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this is where the CB term "Got yer ears on?" came from... Gators and Snappers are always hang'in around the watering holes and they don't have any ears.

WQ4G

M1WML and WR2E like this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It used to be a good frequency back when DX below 14,200 listened up for US callers:D:rolleyes:

M1WML likes this.
  9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's say someone is sending me an image. It takes up to 3 minutes, but you can't hear him. I send a response and now you can hear me, so I get blamed for QRMing you... It's best to just stay off that frequency as there is almost always someone transmitting .

M1WML, VK6APZ/SK2022, NK8I and 3 others like this.
  10. WR2E

I don't disagree with that.

The same is true of ANY mode on 20m though.

I tend to listen to a frequency for several minutes before I start up or even "QRL" so for me at least, it might not tend to be a problem.

M1WML likes this.
  11. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

SSB is probably 30 seconds before it switches people. Listening for a minute or two and you can be reasonably certain the frequency is free. SSTV is up two three minutes, plus setting up the response before you hear the other person.
    You might listen for "several minutes" but I bet the average is 10 seconds! And I might hear you "QRL" but if I respond I'll lose the image. And I don't even have a microphone attached, so the best I can do is strike a 1700hz tone.

M1WML and WQ4G like this.
  12. WR2E

I bet you're right. I regularly hear folks sending QRL on a frequency that is in use, where I can hear an ongoing QSO, and IMMEDIATELY after the QRL they begin their CQ obviously not even listening for a response to their QRL. Even when the DO get a response they seem to ignore it.

And this on a band such as 40m where they 'should' be able to hear the on-frequency activity.

That said, with the proliferation of man made QRM these days, maybe they don't hear anything!

M1WML and WQ4G like this.
  13. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Respect to you Sir.

M1WML likes this.
  14. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do often hear SSB on 14.230. If I do hear an SSTV station (which are usually pretty darn loud) and the calling SSB station doesn't, I will usually tell them there is SSTV during a quick contact and they most often will QSY. So I would hope they are not trying to call CQ over a SSTV station on purpose... Wait, I guess I am by telling them so...

M1WML likes this.
  15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider also that many hams have very poor HF antenna systems and are as RF deaf as a rock.

Carl

M1WML, WQ4G and W7UUU like this.