Please Respect the Frequencies for SSTV and QRP

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by CT2KFQ, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N6YMK

N6YMK Ham Member QRZ Page

21345 and 28680 should come back as the bands improve with the sunspot cycle...

I've been running a few tests on 3845. No QSO's (yet), just trying to pick up my own signal on the KFS and Utah WebSDRs. Works pretty good for a 10-20 watt signal from Southern California.

If I get a chance (and no one's on the frequency!) I'll send a few pics around 0000-0100Z and/or at 0500-0600Z. Either 3845 or 7171, though the last frequency is often too busy.

KY1K likes this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

What an arrogant and condescending comment...

You are correct... No one can lay claim to any frequency and there are no 'hard and fast rules' about where to operate or modes to use (well actually there are a few).

However, a few rules and agreements, even if they are not 'formal,' is what makes operating in the Ham Bands a lot more pleasurable for EVERYONE. The rules give some order to the chaos and it's what sets us Amateur Radio Operators apart from our 'outlaw' counterparts up (or down depending on your perspective) in that OTHER band. It's why a lot of us came here - to get away from the lawlessness and chaos... To get away from THOSE PEOPLE!

But, it is obvious to me that some operators (people) have a difficult time with 'rules' or 'law and order.' If gentlemen's agreements and the rules are so difficult to follow perhaps you would feel more comfortable down on that other band.

IMO it is this attitude, of not wanting to follow the rules and laws, that is causing so many societal issues now days... What these people are really saying to the rest of is that - YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! That - no matter what - you can't make me follow your rules and agreements.

From a rather famous movie scene:

Dan WQ4G

3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dan @WQ4G... Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, you're bouncing around a bit here.

I may be arrogant and condescending, but I am correct, you said so yourself...

Band plans do not usually have the force of law, they're usually just suggestions. Some folks do indeed have problems with regulations, but I don't.

Throwing in a gratuitous CB dig is does not even make sense... But whatever...

..And then you get a bit political...

So, let me say this to you Dan: people coming here and whining about infringements on some special slice of bandwidth and expecting anything to be done about it are just spitting in the wind, and I for am getting a bit tired of them coming here and telling us (the general ham community) to avoid their own special bit of turf. This is akin to the 75 meter net wars of the past and it needs to stop.

Arrogant and condescending? Yeah, probably but I can do that up to the point where Fred kicks me off the site. You are free to ignore me, I won't mind.

N3FAA likes this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I take it that you are not aware of the current arrl proposal to give certain automated stations there own slice of OUR RF spectrum. Where you MUST use only the arrl approved mode.

5. WG7X

@ND6M : Your take is incorrect. I am fully aware of this latest spectrum grab for things like WINLINK. Note that I did not specify WINLINK, just that and others like it.

I can read the news with the best of them, thanks!

6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, if you say so....

Well, I'm glad you patted yourself on the back. Unfortunately you are only partially correct. There are segments and modes specified by LAW. Of course as an Amateur Extra you SHOULD know that. Right? It WAS on the test. Perhaps you have forgotten?

Some suggestions, some laws. They are there to make operating in the Ham Bands more orderly and more pleasurable for everyone. Of course some people don't give a rat's (expletive deleted) about order, suggestions, or anyone else's pleasure. And, that's what leads to confusion, frustration, and chaos for everyone. Of course some people LIKE confusion, frustration, and chaos...

It makes perfect sense. You seem to have the same 'outlaw' attitude that the people down there have (and have brought here). The rules, even if informal, and being able to adhere to them is what generally sets Ham Radio apart from CB (at least it did in the past). If you don't like following rules (formal or informal) then 11 meters is the place for YOU. No license required, no rules to follow, and lots of others just like you...

Nope, not at all. Unless you are referring to Ham Radio politics. Trust me, if I were to get 'political' you would know it... But, I bet YOU discuss politics OTA often. And, probably just to get people angry too... You know - like they do down there on that other band where there are no rules, no agreements, and generally no gentlemen either.

Now see, there you go... No one is 'whining' about anything. You are filtering what has been said with that bad attitude and then trying to append the 'whiner' label. You are categorizing people who prefer some 'order' to things as being whiners, as if there is something wrong with having a few rules... There have been informal agreements among Hams for many years on where and what modes to use. They were there LONG before YOU came along. And, most of us try to follow them because they reflect good operating practices, they keep confusion down, and help increase EVERYONE's enjoyment. Why do you have a problem with that? Why do some people have problems with others enjoying themselves? Why are some people NOT happy unless there IS chaos and confusion? Why is it that SOME people can only make themselves feel better by making others feel bad? That's what I'm getting tired of....

Well, I'm glad you can admit it... Now, do something to stop it. You'll feel better and probably live longer too... Fred is pretty tolerant about most everything with a few exception... I doubt you'll get kicked off. But, ignore you? Sorry, I'd rather give you back that dose of arrogance and condescension...

As an Amateur Extra you SHOULD know (and realize) that Ham Radio is all about cooperation, agreements, and gentlemen. If you can't handle that, then perhaps the Ham Bands are not the place for you. Perhaps you are not 'Ham' material....

Dan WQ4G

KF5RHI likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Been working SSTV for years very few problems. Yesterday made a few DX contacts and all went smooth.
    As for QRP, it's an occasional fun novelty thing for me would not like a steady diet of it.
    I'm sure there is a segment of the ham population that believes that so long as they are in compliance with the FCC rules and regs they operate on the frequencies available to them and not based on the suggestions of some organization they may not even be a part of. Some may agree some may not thus the comments in this thread (the comments that are on-topic).

8. WG7X

@WQ4G Dan thanks for your considered response and opinions. Unfortunately, you are so far off base about me and my ideas that we will never be able to have a rational discussion. I can see from your response that you are just throwing arguments out to see what sticks. Sorry, OM I'm going to have decline your invitation for an argument.

Have a nice time...

N3FAA likes this.
  9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt that.... It all boils down to respect and self discipline. Especially respect. And, based on your own comments I can see that you don't have much respect for others.

Ok, no rules, no respect, no self discipline. So next time you get on the radio, just drop in on 14.074 (or maybe 3.573 or 3.578) and start calling CQ (in CW mode) with your KW amp turned on. There shouldn't be any problems with that - right?

I'm just glad that not everyone thinks the same way you do... If they did we would have to start calling it CB radio instead of Ham Radio.

Failure to enforce rules or to maintain discipline (including self discipline) leads to demoralization and penalizes the innocent instead of the guilty....

Dan WQ4G

10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

For your reading pleasure....

http://thersgb.org/publications/iar...rational-procedures-for-the-radio-amateur.pdf

The top part of page 5 may be of interest to you.... Especially the first sentence...

WQ4G

KJ4VPI likes this.