Please Recommend Digital Software For Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WQ4G, Dec 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

FlDigi and the other programs with which it operates are the standard for emcomm, at least here in the Northeast.

Even if you are not interested in emcomm, that should tell you that FlDigi is very reliable and will get the job done.

Some settings have to do with the wide range of modes it supports. You can ignore the ones related to modes you don't use.

No matter what software you use for digital radio, most of the headaches come from trying to get the control port and PTT switching ports set up and working correctly. You won't escape that step regardless of whether you use FlDigi or something else.

Also, look into DXLab. It's Commander software does an excellent job of mediating between the radio/cable/ports and the software doing the digital modulation/ demodulation and display.

K0UO and WQ4G like this.
  2. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

For computerized CW *transmission*, not decoding, I've had good success with N1MM+.

FeldHell has been ignored by many software programs, which is a shame because it's a great mode. The original IZ8BLY software is my usual go-to for this mode, but FlDigi now supports it.

If you do PSK31 and don't want to use FlDigi, DXLab WinWarbler is a simpler alternative that works very well.

KB0MNM, PU2OZT, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

The time sync all happens in the background, so no harm done. And there are tons of servers to select, so I highly doubt me hitting one of them every 10 minutes is going to crash the NTP system....

4. KM6TFY

KM6TFY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another option is a GPS receiver and "bkt time sync" program for windows. Uses serial or PPS signal from satellites to set system time, great for field coms or desktop use. It will also sync to ntp standard poll is 60 mins. Plus your right about NTP servers. Most programs use pool.ntp so it chooses a server near you, based on latency and jitter. ntp is a massive group of servers disseminating time in a distributed style network. As for the software I will agree with all Fldigi is defacto standard for almost any digital mode, wsjtx for ft8 and ft4. mmsstv for slow scan.

5. K6CID

K6CID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I beg to differ. I have been using the HRD suite of programs for PSK31 for about 10 years with hundreds of contacts. A vast majority of these contacts were using HRD so I my humble opinion HRD is the ‘de facto’ standard for PSK31
    K6CID - Colin

6. KC3RN

That may have been true 10 years ago, but in the last three years, I don't think I've worked a single station that's still running DM-780...

7. K6CID

K6CID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is the direct opposite of my current experience

8. KC3RN

deleted

9. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used MixW (registered) for as long as I can remember on PSK. You guys remember PSK, right? I use MMTTY on RTTY and WSJT-X and GridTracker for FT8/FT4.

10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have tried Warbler, FLdigi etc. IMO DM780 is the best and easiest for everything from PSK31, RTTY, CW decoding ( if you set it right for contests its great ), Hell, Olivia and the rest .

Been using it 10 years now.