Please Double check my work before setting up / Noise Cancel set up

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NN2X, Apr 17, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello fellow Ham operators

My problem, Noise! 20/9....Coming from Solar Panels (Neighbor)

I have the DX Commander (Classic), 7 Bands, 40-10, Noise on all bands...

For my noise problem, I purchased the following:

1. 10M (33FT) mast from DX Commander, (For the RFI Antenna),

2. WIMO 26000 Noise canceller...

3. Par EndFed Antenna (RX only ), EF SWL, it is 45 FT Wire, to RX 10-40. (Note the extra wire I will fold back the Mast is only 33ft, I will fold back the extra wire (Like DX Commander does )

Look at the below drawing, see if I am missing something...I know I have to receive the "noise" at the same level, as from the main antenna to be effective. so therefore I have the Noise Antenna (very similar to Main Antenna) / It is the spacing I am most worries about and if there maybe some interaction between them (Main Antenna and RFI. Maybe some one can analyze, I am trying to cancel noise for 40/30/20/17/15/12/10).

upload_2021-4-17_12-13-3.png

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion........... at 80 feet away from the noise source that is 20 over 9, you over did the noise antenna.
    10 feet of wire is about all you need in the radio area to pick up such a strong noise signal.
    The noise cancel function needs to become a balance in the cancel circuit, not overwhelm it.
    Adjust as needed.

AG5DB likes this.
  3. NN2X

Thanks for the response. I saw many Youtubes, videos on noise canceling and it seems it was difficult to get the noise high enough, They might have to use, loop with directional functionality..So I thought, well, I get this really nailed down, can do away this 20/9 noise, it is wicked! That is very high level, I hope this WIMO product and do away of this..Also, the Mast, (Both), only weigh about 1LB or 2, so I can simply ake down for my Ham vacations!

Thanks though for your response.

NN2X. Tom

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar panels convert light energy to DC and don't generate any noise.

The inverters that convert DC to AC can, and often do. "Microinverters" may be the worst of all, as there can be several of them in a single installation. But a single, larger inverter is generally on an outside wall of the house and can be reached and altered or replaced.

I'd always try to start with "the source" of RFI rather than attempt to eliminate it elsewhere.

If you're certain that's the noise source, have you discussed calling the company who installed the system to see if they can help resolve it, perhaps by replacing an old inverter with a new, quieter one? These companies generally couldn't care less about ham radio, but are very aware their inverters can cause interference to regular broadcast radios which almost everyone has; if you can "demonstrate" that to them, they'll often do what they can to resolve it before you make a ruckus with the FCC.

N3AB and WQ4G like this.
  5. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure about the WIMO, but the MFJ-1026 had a built in amplifier for the noise antenna. This used very important in letting you easily null the signal.

If the WIMO lacks this I would return it, but if that is not an option then, yes, get that noise signal very strong by placing the sense antenna as close as you can to the noise source.

I would also send a letter to the installer and manufacturer of the solar panel setup and send it also to the FCC.

WQ4G likes this.
  6. K0OKS

Yes, always point out it is causing radio interference. Not interference to amateur radio specifically.

7. NN2X

No doubt! (I meant the system (For Solar Panel) which includes the power system for the solar panels..) / I am hoping to resolve the without the involvement of the FCC and manufacturer). Last time I had an issue like this many decades ago, it was a nightmare!

Thanks though for response

NN2X .Tom

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had much more recent experience, like two years ago.

The manufacturer of the inverter/controller system, "Sunny Boy" (probably a division of something) came out almost immediately, heard the RFI on a portable AM radio, ordered a different style inverter and installed it less than two weeks later.

RFI completely eliminated. No noise, and no difference in noise levels across the HF spectrum between daytime (full sun) and nighttime when the inverters aren't doing anything.

WQ4G likes this.
  9. NN2X

I can't seem to get a product from MFJ that is not sound.(It is hit or miss).It is not the design, it is the on off button that does not work (Antenna Analyzer), or the cold solder joint in the power supply..And there is others I had issues with..I just don't have the time to fix new equipment and not only that, it is the confidence it works, ,This issue I have with the RFI will probably take quite a bit of tinkering, and imagine you have on your back of your mind that the unit you have (MFJ 1026) has another cold solder joint, or part not put in correct...You never know what the real issue (MFJ equipment working or RFI antenna not placed in the right direction, or something else). If you check my reviews, on Eham, you will never see a bad review, if there is an issue, I would not indicate, however, for this application I will express my experiences with MFJ, as it will be a challenging enough to fix this RFI without having another product that I am not sure of working.

NN2X Tom

10. K0OKS

We all hear you on the MFJ quality control. I consider their gear to be in kit form and always open it up and inspect it before turning it on.

The point was that a noise canceller with an amplifier is the better choice than one without. You need a strong signal from the sense antenna. Of course a better sense antenna or better placement is superior to amplifying a weaker signal.