Please don't do this...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jun 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K3YGX

K3YGX Ham Member QRZ Page

If I suspect a keyboard is used (full spelling and punctuation) then I use my banana boat swing on them, they usually type a 73 then end the QSO. Hmmm, I wonder if they think we can tell if they use capital letters?

I think it's probably harder to make those gagets work than actually using your brain to copy code. (long gap before sending back)

I have played around with fldigi to copy W1AW propagation bulletins and sometimes the garble I see on the screen makes me scratch my head when I compare it to what I've just heard. If I ever get so decrepit that I can't send anymore I might use a keyboard, but I will not need a decoder.....dit (space) dit

2. N4IAG

N4IAG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm more concerned with how well the code is being sent, and not so much what is sent. If a ham sends "my name is Larry" instead of "op Larry" it makes no difference to me. I'm in no hurry.

Mistakes from a beginner are expected and are usually due to nerves and lack of experience. Most will get better naturally as they become more comfortable and are exposed to proper procedures.

My pet peeve is spacing. Some people confuse fast code with good code. I'll take slow well-spaced code any day over the faster, run together mess that is often heard these days - that stuff gives me a headache.

W0BTU, K5TRI and KC9UDX like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL code practice is verbatim, punctuation and all, from issues of QST -- I'm sure that's fully automated and nobody's converting or sending it, so you get what you get.

But I agree in "ham radio circles," nobody uses periods. I very rarely use commas, do sometimes use question marks if I have a question.

For AA4OO, if he returns: We all started out brand new, once.:)

However, I think "back in the day," most of us had been listening to CW QSOs for a while -- in my case, probably six months -- before we ever became licensed, so we knew what they sounded like and what the general format and protocol was. As such, it was pretty easy to sound like we knew what we were doing from the very first contact, although nervousness and insecurities surely set in.

It might have also been a bit "easier" back then due to the Novice license. Novices worked each other, and we were all pretty new; and higher class licensees who hung out in the "Novice" band (small sections of 80/40/15m where Novices were allowed) were there to actually work Novices and help us out.

Now we don't really have such segregation, nor a "learner's license," and I suspect many new code ops haven't copied 500 CW QSOs before hitting the key and transmitting themselves.

It's a brave new world!:)

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think that's a BIG part of it. My first 100 or QSOs were utterly "by the book" for Novices then: RST, City, State, Name on the first go, Rig, Ant, Age, Been a ham for, "well TNX for QSO es 73" sort of thing - and as you say, Novices were working Novices, and we were all listening to each other do mostly the same things in our own little section of the band, the "Novice Language" was pretty obvious long before I could actually transmit.

I didn't really start actually talking about stuff until after maybe 100 QSOs. And that was with a girl (Liz, WN7AIX) who lived way north of me and every day after school we'd meet on 40 CW and converse about school stuff for as long as 2 hours at a stretch. I really credit her good sending and copying skills with really getting me going on the art of the CW rag chew, late Spring 1975 into Summer.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Today's Gripe
    I have to agree with Steve (I often do) about the stilted style of SOME new CW ops.
    This tells me they never listened to a CW QSO on the air on a radio for practice before diving into the airwaves !:eek:
    I get a little irritated when some newbie spells out EVERYTHING at 3 WPM in a QSO. I can't believe that someone doesn't know the USPS two letter abbreviations for the states and Canadian provinces, or at least a few commonly used ham radio abbrevations. C'mon guys learn to use some Q signals. Instead of saying "SORRY YOU FADED OUT A FEW TIMES" say "SRI QSB" It takes so long to spell it out the band may have changed before (B4) I could get back to you ! :(

About the only other gripe I can add, may not be just newbies doing it,
    I hear many times, Answering my CQ (this is not in a contest) with a callsign only !
    Nothing else.
    Outside the frantic pace of a contest a general CQ should be answered "hiscall DE mycall K". A pretty common practice.
    If I just hear a callsign sent after I call CQ, I wonder if he is calling me or some QSO was already going on where I didn't hear the guy at the other end (propagation sometimes has "skip zones") and I know sometimes QSOs go on with the parties on slightly different frequencies for one reason or another.

I try not to get too bent out of shape over those things, after all it's just a hobby ?:p
    Have FUN and C.U.L. (leave out the periods in a QSO).;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  6. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As already mentioned - if not here, another thread - lack of spacing drives me nuts. Seems to be most prevalent with bugs for some reason. Pse, there is no penalty for inserting space between your letters. I think a little extra breathing space between words helps below 20 WPM (which probably is mostly less experienced ops). The yutz (me) on the other end will greatly appreciate it.

When I took the CWOps CW Academy course, the advisors got on us constantly about spacing, probably more than anything else.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

My reply: U CLN ME OM? DE WR2E K

If they don't answer, or do the callsign thing again, I start calling CQ again...

(John, you know I'm gonna bust your chops next time I hear you calling! :eek: and I hope you do the same to me! :p)

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe, I hope we get to QSO sometime... I use a bug all the time... I hope I pass muster!

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a liking for SEE U myself. Harkens back to shipboard use I believe.

10. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't the correct reply' QRZ? DE WR2E K? ;-)

Incidentally regarding nerves:. I'm new to Ham radio, but I was a Royal Navy operator many years ago. The first time back on the air was nerve wracking for me and probably more so than my 1st military QSO because unlike commercial or military comms, where everything is taught - the procedure of how you operate and such, this doesn't appear, in many instances of Ham radio, to be as 'standardised' as I was used to. My 1st QSO was with a Spanish ham and I was so full of nerves and ashamed I sent him a nice email and he replied that he was also extremely nervous after I told him I'd been a radio op and he'd suddenly realised that this was long before he was even born!!