Please ditch the R R R

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jun 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

100% solid copy of everything, including callsigns.

This is a small irk; I find lately and pretty often the station I'm in contact with sends, "R R" and then gets my callsign wrong, even though I sent it repeatedly.

And then "R R R" and still gets it wrong. How can it be "solid copy" if you can't even get the call correctly?

Recommendation: One "R" is more than sufficient, and don't send it unless you're really sure you got everything from callsigns to details.

I send "R" sometimes, but only to confirm every single dit was copied fine. Otherwise, it's best not to use this.

AJ6KZ, W9RAC, K0UO and 3 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

RRQR de U7UUW

KE4OH, AE8W and KL7KN like this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RR ........ op? ES qth? BK

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  4. N3KE

N3KE Ham Member QRZ Page

R R R WD2JIK DE N3KE

AI5DD and PU2OZT like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RRR TNX DALE FOR NICE QSO. J7VVV DE WB2WIK DIT DIT

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

DWIT DWAT 37 STOVE UCL

KL7KN and K9ASE like this.
  7. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand what you mean, but there is another possibility that you could be overlooking...... No matter how many times you send your call (or whatever else) correctly it doesn't mean the OP on the other end didn't decode it right. The other OP could just be decoding incorrectly and giving the RRR (or RR or R) in good faith; they think they got it all right.

I know I used to screw up 4's and 1's in call signs a lot. Based on what I am reading I'm sure I have been an innocent and unknowing irritant from time to time. I wasn't trying to upset; I thought I had 100% copy.

I apologize for my past imperfections and will try to do better. It the meantime, I will try to demonstrate patience with those that are trying to keep CW alive but don't copy me 100% regardless if I know my sending was good enough.

N6XJP, AJ6KZ, NQ1B and 7 others like this.
  8. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

"R" or "RR" or "RRR" does NOT mean "I copied you 100%."

It means any of the following:

"I'm a nervous beginner and just doing what everybody else is doing."

"I need a few 'Rs' to get my fist warmed up before I try to remember your call and then remember my own call."

"I just want you to feel good about your ability to communicate clearly with me."

"This is a kinder, friendlier way of sending 'no cpy pse rpt.'"

"The remainder of this QSO will be '5NN TU.'"

G0KDT, AJ6KZ, KO4LZ and 3 others like this.
  9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

From @W6MK QRZ Page:
    "99% CW. 1% regret."

HIHIHIHI!!

N3UPM, WN1MB and WA1GXC like this.
  10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

RRRRRR