ad: vanity

Playing the "shipping cost guilt card"?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Nov 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Outdated information. ebay closed that loophole years ago. Check out "Final Value Fees".

N3AB likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty much 99% of this seller's postings on QRZ are "for sale" ads dating back over a decade. NOT his first rodeo.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Shipping can be free, But packaging and handling cost a bundle. :rolleyes:

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure. Of course. But KNOW THOSE COSTS before listing "$100 includes free shipping anywhere in the Solar System"

NOT the buyer's problem :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY, N3AB and KA9JLM like this.
  5. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I made that mistake selling an item on Ebay. I ate it and learned a lesson. No way I'd ask the buyer to pay for my ignorance.

K8AI, W2VW, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, then I'd point that out and tell him to go pound sand (down a rathole for the more full effect)... :p

K8AI and W7UUU like this.
  7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a "Seller" , though I do look for hard to find items on occasion...
    I have seen a few items (Very recently) that were small, and easy to ship, with low starting bids, and YUUGE shipping costs, So apparently
    that loophole still works up to a point.....
    Ymmv

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, they are just trying to get the item noticed and making up for it on the back end. Or they have entered the numbers for shipping incorrectly. The fee still has to be paid on the TOTAL.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  9. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a strategy by the seller. Perhaps the buyer won't notice the high Shipping and Handling amount. But ebay is definitely getting their cut of the FINAL PRICE that is paid by the buyer. The policy can be looked up. I told you what to look for. So believe whatever you want, but ebay is not stupid. That loophole is closed.

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be a scam.

It could be an honest mistake.

IMHO, it doesn't matter. Trying to get the buyer to pay for shipping after having clearly advertised "FREE SHIPPING" is just not the way to do business.

73 de Jim, N2EY

AJ4GQ, KA2CZU and W7UUU like this.