Playing games with call signs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why are you picking on Hammy?! He's a good squirrel and a good op.

Hey, if you want to call yourself "The Rubber Duck" on the air it makes no difference to me as long as you ID with your actual call. :p

upload_2019-8-26_8-8-38.jpeg

ND6M and W5TTP like this.
  2. W4NNF

Since we are long past the time when the numbers mean you at least might be located in that particular district, what difference does it make?

Most hams have the Zed on the shack PC, or their log can access it, so if you want to know "Is that OM really in Alaska," you can check in just a couple of seconds Me? I just work 'em. ;)

3. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

No kidding.

Out here, when I hear a weak KH6 or KL7, it's almost always somebody from the East Coast or Texas with one of those calls.

In the old days before the internet, an out of district call like that likely added db to your signal as the receiving station would think HI or AK. I know that as I had WX7P in CA in the late 80's and early 90's and the DX would always *hope* I was WY or ID. Instead, they got some jive CA station.

I still have trouble with calls that were never sequentially issued like "WA6ID" or "NN6XX" or "WY6USA" (Calls I made up)

Sample responses from me (sometimes) when I hear calls like these.

WA6ID: "What's the rest of your call?
    NN6XX: "Do I have an extra letter?"
    WY6USA: "What's the second letter of your prefix"?

W5TTP likes this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah, i think we get accustomed to certain sequences / standards and now these new standards throw us off - i think most are results of digital modes - the calls look "cool" but sound terrible.

W5TTP likes this.
  5. W4NNF

Sorry, scratching my head. How are the digital modes responsible for the current US call sign assignment system? :eek:

K4AGO and WU8Y like this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry, i wasnt clear, i was referring to vanity calls that look 'cool' but would be terrible fone/cw calls - WY8WVA, KF0UR, things like that... wasnt disparaging digital, just saying it is giving rise to a new type of vanity call choices...

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I still miss "Sammy.":(:rolleyes:

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

w0os, or we3ner, km1a, wa2nkr, etc....??

9. W4NNF

Some hams have always like calls like that, sometimes for how the look on their cards, or for how they look on RTTY. This ain't anything new. ;)

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing new under the sun.
    Where have I seen that before... :oops:

K4AGO and W4NNF like this.