Plate transformer question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KN4CTD, Apr 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KN4CTD

KN4CTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a plate transformer from a hamfest today. It is old and was made by Chicago transformer. It still has the original tag and is model 2520. I’ve read online that this may be a plate transformer from a Collins 30k-5 (if I remember correctly) am transmitter. Can someone explain to me how a transformer this large is only rated @ 300-400 ma when it is this large and weighs 71 pounds? It’s only rated at 1kva also. Were these rated really conservatively or what? Any and all comments welcome. Thanks!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have an actual data sheet for it?

A lot of transformers from "big" transmitters were rated for continuous service 24/7/365 such as broadcast applications; in some cases, hams can use them at twice the original current and VA ratings quite safely since we're not broadcasting.

I have an old "Collins" oil-filled transformer in my garage that also weighs about 70 lbs and isn't rated for much power; it's "NOS" and has never been used as far as I can tell...it's bolted to a piece of wood and that appears to be the way it was shipped from the manufacturer. The machine screw terminals on big ceramic standoffs look like the nuts have never been unscrewed. Its weight-to-VA rating is terrible but it may be 50-60 years old.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KN4CTD

I googled the part number and the specs are still available online. I was hoping for something large enough for a legal limit power supply.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you provide a link to the specs? I only took 10 seconds looking for it, but didn't find it.

6. KN4CTD

It’s actually a Chicago Transformer P2520

7. KN4CTD

Yes as soon as I get home in a few I’ll post it

8. KN4CTD

http://www.junkbox.com/electronics/Chicago Transformers Catalog ctc-58 1958.pdf It’s listed under P2520 under the plate transformers. This is all the info on specs I can find besides what the tag says. It was supposedly used in a Collins 30k-5 250 watt AM transmitter according to another post I found on google

9. KN4CTD

Attached Files:

10. KN4CTD