Plans for Straight Key Night? (SKN)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W7UUU, Dec 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3PDT

N3PDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This Drake 2-NT/2-C/2-CQ combo will get the most work. Might also get my HW-16 on the air.

[​IMG]

Doug N3PDT

2019 Novice Rig Roundup, March 2-10, 2019
    http://novicerigroundup.com

W7UUU, W5BIB and W1BR like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" :) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be using my Tentec Century-22 & NYE Viking Master Key,... just like I do 365 days-per-year ;)

(SKCC #7327)

dit dit

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    W1BV and W7UUU like this.
  3. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks W5BIB!

Had something happen today that has taken my concerns away.

I had a long QSO with a 2 land station which was his first CW QSO after many years. I slowed down considerably from my current pace and worked hard to be as easy to copy as possible. It was as rewarding as it gets. The joy was twofold, realizing I had to slow down was nice, but being part of another ham coming into CW with ease was way bigger.

I suppose that is the essence of SKN and SKCC all rolled up in one QSO.

N0NB, W5ESE, KQ4MM and 2 others like this.
  4. W5BIB

BINGO !

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to use my:
    [​IMG]
    and my:
    [​IMG] + [​IMG]

Your job is to, by listening, determine which is which*. I use a straight key with my left hand, and a keyer w/ my right hand (I can switch back and forth FAST). :p

* So far, no one can tell the difference. They say BOTH sound great. :D

W5BIB likes this.
  6. W5BIB

Bryan, I was just checking my paper logbooks & see you were my first contact of the year on 01Jan.2016. on 7060 @ 0744z :D

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I fired up the Drake TR4CW you graciously sold me Dave. Unfortunately my first three SKN QSOs this evening faded into the deep 40m QSB. The bands aren't playing nicely at the moment but I'll try again later this evening and tomorrow.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Had a great time last night at the Radio Club of Tacoma, in the "W7OS Clifford 'Doc' Spike Memorial Museum" in the upstairs of the clubhouse. Our Museum Curator Rich KR7W really polished things up for the night - a newly restored Globe Champ transmitter putting out a solid 180 watts into our inverted vee at 75 feet, with our fabulous Collins 75A4 handing the receiver side of things... one of the best of our "Museum Station Lineups" in years!

I had the honor of being first at the key right at 0000 UTC, and put the first three contacts in the log, with the "best DX of the evening" to boot! (Detroit Lakes, Minnesota).

I brought my own key - actually, a key lent to me by Steve AD7VL - one he built himself in 30 minutes 10 years ago in a "build a key contest" at the club! It actually works great, and I used it for all three contacts including one that ran 20 minutes long at about 24 WPM but the key kept right up with it.

SKN at the clubhouse is an annual tradition - pizza, potluck, "bring your favorite straight keys" thing... it's a lot of fun!

Dave
    W7UUU
    W7OS Station SKN 2019.jpg
    Dave at.jpg
    key.jpg
    SKN W7OS 2019.jpg
    IMG_7754.jpg

N0TZU likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Those with really good eyes might spot a QSL on the bulletin board from a prominent member of QRZ in the photo above...

but for those of us without such good eyes, here's a closer view - see if you can figure it out :)

Dave
    W7UUU

IMG_7749.jpg

@WB2WIK :)

N0TZU and W1BR like this.
  10. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AARGH. I tried to set up my station but the winds played havoc with my dipole. One end came down and trying to get it reset in the dark was futile!! Well, next year I will have my new shop/shack all finished and the tower erected so there will be no excuses. Hope all have a happy and healthy New Year!!

Roger N6RGR