ad: k1jek

Plans for Straight Key Night? (SKN)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W7UUU, Dec 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will try and break out the Lysco Transmaster 600S and my Hammarlund HQ-100a and use my Speed-X straight key. I will also monitor with my Icom IC-7200.

Hope to CU on CW 73,

Roger de N6RGR

W7UUU and W1BR like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice setup!! I will be listening for you!

Dave
    W7UUU

3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I should have seen that coming. :cool:

Shameful plug.
    Www.darkkorner.com

W7UUU likes this.
  4. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Flex-1500, the navy flameproof and the '53 Champion, I may turn on the 40 watt amp if

I need QRO.

5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

*IF* I can get on, I'll use my homebrew 6AG7 - 807 c.w. transmitter (crystal-controlled, plug-in coils) paired with my Drake R-4B receiver. Operation would be on 30m and 40m. I don't know which key(s) I might use. There's plenty to choose from: I have 48 straight keys and 4 bugs (plus two more bugs under restoration).

I'm doing a total "back to kit form" rebuild of a Johnson Adventurer right now, but I doubt it will be operational by NYE.

Attached Files:

W5BIB likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice!! I hope you will do a thread on the "Back to kit form" project... I'm gearing up to do just that on either a DX-20 or a HW-16 or both...

Hope to hear you on the air - I usually do pretty well to "5 land" from here

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

I've done the "back to kit form" thing on many Novice-style rigs over the years. From my feeble memory, in no particular order: a Heath DX-20, 2 or 3 DX-40s, a DX-60B, and several HW-16s; three Knight T-60s; a Globe Chief, two Scouts, and a 680; one Eico 723 (my Novice rig was a 723); and the Johnson Adventurer that I'm working on now. Of course, my rebuilds always start with cast-off junkers or basket cases that are too far gone or have had too many modifications done to be worthy of a proper restoration. I make 'em look good and work well, but they're not "restored" in the traditional sense. Regardless, I never have trouble finding buyers when I finish with them! :p

I may post some "before and after" pics of the Adventurer. When I got it, it was filthy dirty, horrifically ugly (poorly spray painted in battleship gray), and it had a fried power transformer. I'm finished rebuilding the transmitter circuitry and incorporating some minor improvements, but now I need to build up a power supply using whatever transformer I can find here in the shack. I have two candidates set aside for that. I have a possible line on a decent original front panel, and *maybe* a transformer. Depends on the condition and price. If I can't swing a deal for the replacement panel, when the WX warms up I'll repaint and reletter the existing front panel, which I have already stripped. For the time being, I'll use the "naked" panel.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread. Back to SKN. . . :)

W5BIB and W7UUU like this.
  8. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be up for a for a bit of it on 40 and 80. I'll be running an ICOM IC-7410 and a Nye Speed-X.

Thanks to time working SKCC events, I feel kind of ready for my first SKN. But, I am nervous that there will be all sorts of bug guys out there running at speeds I can not comprehend.

N2SUB likes this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just have fun. If they don't QRS they don't understand SKN.

N0NB and WN1MB like this.
  10. N4NYK

N4NYK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll plan on using my J-38 from my novice days. That's about the extent of my vintage equipment. Should be fun coupled with my "vintage" TS-590S :)

KK4NSF likes this.