Plans for Straight Key Night? (SKN)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W7UUU, Dec 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Straight Key Night has long been one of my favorite ham radio events of the year. I think I first did it back in 1994 or so, using a homebrew 5-watt MOPA transmitter (which I still have) paired with (I think) an S-85 receiver, with my trusty J38 serving the key honors.

This year I'm using the lineup in the photo below - a "recently restored" Globe Scout 680, Hallicrafters HA-5 VFO, and a fabulous HQ-180 receiver. The key will be one of three that are currently on my "keying switch" - a J38 clone on a solid nickle base, a Vibroplex bug, and my fave: a Japanese SATO straight key.

Don't forget: send in your log from your SKN evening to ARRL and you will appear in the April issue of QST... about the only time most of us will ever see our call signs in QST until we get listed as a Silent Key :)

If you're participating in SKN this year, what will be your setup?

Dave
    W7UUU

@W5CP: Thanks again, Paul, for the HA-5 knobs - I've actually got them installed now and will update the "HA-5 VFO Rides Again" thread hopefully soon with new photos :)

Globe Scout HQ-180.jpg

K7TRF, KC9YGN, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be on only sporadically but I would enjoy working any of you who post regularly to these pages!

3. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan to operate. Will be using the my dad's old J-38 or the straight-key half of my Brown Bros. CTL-B. The rig will be my Knwd TS-440S. I've never owned a tube rig. The Novice rig was a Ten-Tec Century 21. All solid state from then on.

4. KJ6TAR

KJ6TAR Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno Dave, but I thought one of the local clubs was going to do it again. Thot I might just mosey on up there and see what's shaking.

Know what I mean?

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Haha! Well, obviously :) I plan to be there around 3:30 and stick around until maybe 7 or so. I'm not a fan of being out on the roads on New Year's. Rich still had not decided which setup would be active for SKN last time I chatted with him but I hope to get in the log for a few contacts as W7OS again this year

Will you be there?

See you there if so...

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave!

Currently in discussions with the war department on this. Let's just say that I plan to; as I mentioned, "mosey on up there" unless I get overruled!

8. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

My plans are to participate, first SKN ever for me. I bought a EF Johnson Speed-X a couple months ago, just got it mounted on a base a few days ago. I'll probably be on my KX2 (possibly the IC-7300) on 40 meters.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

First order of business will be demolishing either a boneless rib eye steak or a pizza, washed down with a bottle or two of Clausthaler Original NA beer.

If the intermittent local 20db over S9 QRM/QRN is on vacation, I'll operate from home. If not, I might operate from the car or otherwise portable location - weather permitting.

I have a choice of four transceivers from which to choose (the fifth was deemed a parts department rig), but haven't yet decided which I'll use.

Should I use the HW-8, the HW-8. the HW-8, or the HW-8?

Decisions, decisions!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  10. W7UUU

Yeah it really depends on the crowd in the Museum Station room... year before last I had the honor of having the very first QSOs on the SX-28A that Rich had restored, paired with that giant "Acme Transmitter" (with VF-1 VFO). Made 4 or 5 contacts but it was tough as the room was crowded and there were no headphones. It's a real bugger to do CW with people talking... not to mention on ancient finicky rigs like we were using.

Hoping for the 75A4 paired with the Globe Chief

Dave
    W7UUU