Planning to Purchase an MTR5B, Questions to Users

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD8EDC, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. SQ6GIT

SQ6GIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark - I have been using the setup for a few activations. This is lovely composition of the gear and you will love it.

My setup has been:
    - LNR MTR5b
    - pico paddle
    - all-weather notepad + pencil
    - 3-cell 11.1V LiPo 450 mAh + voltage alarm (needed to preserve the battery, I lost 2 already because of forgetting to disconnect (at home though))
    - all those above on a small A5 size cutting board adapted to it, so I can have everything on my lap (I can send you a photo, if you wish)
    - ear-plug headphones + volume control Koss VC-20
    Antennas:
    - LNR trail friendly 40-20-10, also I have a spare one with the wire for 10MHz (since I have 2x 40-20-10 already, it is cheaper for me than buy a 40-30-20)
    - circa 5m BNC-BNC RG50 (I think this can be even RG174)
    - 1.7 mm throwing line + 8oz throwing weight
    - a few threads of thin rope (~2mm diameter) to allow diversities of setup on the peak

- I also have Elecraft T1, but I used it only because I didn't have an SWR meter. Now I have QRPguys.com one, so I am considering to carry just that one. Or a Diamond SX20 SWR (equivalent not original one) because I love watching the needle.. :)

This works fantastic, and you WILL love it. I have used this setup when business-travelling.

Hints:
    - do not worry about the LiPo being initially ~12.4V - this discussion took a while on Reflector forum, and I also tested numerous times - with the antenna 100% matching, really nothing to worry about,
    - do not buy the battery for the clock in MTR5b, it lasts max 3 weeks, it is awkward to mount, and moreover, if it dies, it a bit messes up with the rig), just set up the clock when you are on top
    - buy extra volume control, as the rig has no control of volume, and it is a bit loud - I use ear-plugs headphones, so that is the only good way to control the volume; if you prefer normal on-ear headphones, you can control the volume by putting the earmuffs a bit further on the earlobes.
    - you may not fully like the light from the display -it is not fully fitting the hole and some side light is leaking in. I opened the rig, and added some electric tape to seal the sides, now the display is beautifully glaring at me.. :)

Just buy the setup, and enjoy it!

2. N3CI

N3CI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Realize this is an old thread, but I just started using my MTR5B with 9v batteries and the same antenna as above. Works great. This is the perfect radio for international travel due to the very small size. Amazing how well the radio gets out and the receiver is quite selective and sensitive.

3. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too- Got MTR3B (for cost reasons and usually stay on 40) and run 9V rechargable with LNR end fed- no tuner. Radio is just alot of fun and works great.

4. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for
    Thanks for ALL of the information and the replys. I did wind up pulling the trigger and purchasing:

MTR5B
    Bioenno 3Ah LiFePO4 battery (12v)
    Buck Converter with Voltage Display
    Sotabeams Band-Hopper 20/30/40
    Spiderbeam 40' Mast and Kevlar Guys
    American Morse Equipment Porta-Paddle (for hikes and rough country)
    Begali Adventure Dual Paddle (for outings where I'm not going to risk killing the paddles)

I also have several 9v batteries and connectors, and have wired all in a modular fashion so that they can all be connected to the power cord of the MTR via Anderson PowerPoles (In the proper configuration, of course). This makes it easy to change out the 9v with the LiFePO4, and to interpose the Buck Converter as needed.

Currently on order is an LNR EFT-MTR antenna, Elecraft T1 Tuner, and some throwing weights/line.

All of this gear fits nicely into a Kelty Redwing 50 pack (except with SpiderBeams Mast, which I carry below the pack on a sling). When I take the KX3 out, I take the Begali paddles. The KX3, the paddles, a speaker, antenna analyzer and soon the Tuner all fit into a Pelican 1400 case, which fits into the backpack.

Good to go! C'mon SOTA!

Mark KD8EDC

5. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold my Porta Paddle and replaced it with a Pico Paddle. How I regret that mistake! Just sold the Pico Paddle to buy another Porta Paddle for use with my KX2 on summits. Looks like you're ready to have some fun!

6. M0RJC

M0RJC Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like it's designed for 9V. How about a 3 cell LifePo4?

My query is whether to go for the ultra compact 3 band, or the slightly bigger 5 band? If I start experimenting with vertical antennas those higher bands will allow me to use my shorter mast, though the cost difference I could perhaps afford a bigger mast with the smaller radio. I currently use 20,30,40 with my linked dipole and the KX3.

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

The MTR5B is 100 times better than the FT817 or FT 818 for CW work.

Sometimes all we need is a good CW rig. The MTR5B is a great CW rig.

N0FN likes this.
  8. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget the MTR4B in your considerations. This model includes 80m. (Strangely, the -5B does not include 80m.) Yes, it weighs 9 oz instead of 4.5 oz, so it is like the -5B in size and weight.

If you never work portable after sunset, 80m may not be of interest.