Planning to Purchase an MTR5B, Questions to Users

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD8EDC, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's my idea of a rig that fits in your shirt pocket.

All mode, all band (up to 144 mhz) with built in spectrum analyser, GPS, VNA antenna analyser and more.

[​IMG]

Quick start up guide / demo:

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this an abandoned project?

3. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

If all the features worked well and Michael had been able to really bring it to market I think this would be an incredibly cool radio!!

4. KC8VWM

Yeah that's what i'm thinking. Kinda surprised no one approached Mr. Colton to buy his design so it can be further developed. I mean the initial ground work development has already been done and "shirt pocket radio transceiver" is definitely the future direction we need to go with portable QRP. :) In fact, I think we have the technology today to squish an FT-817 into half it's size since it was first initially developed as the first truly portable DC to daylight rig for the masses. I think portable SDR can realistically achieve that objective as this PSDR radio project clearly demonstrates.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  5. KC8VWM

I wouldn't say "abandoned." Rather, he has given us a major stepping stone forward in the right direction. I think we are going to see more pocket sized SDR transceiver development for QRP like this in the future.

Someday our FT-817's, KX3's and MTR's will become old boat anchors and the new QRP transceivers will be built into a wrist watch and operate all day on a hearing aid battery. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  6. US7IGN

No one need "wrist watch" radio. Even if microprocessor will be very power efficient (not like STM429), how you assume to fool physic law and get 5W from 1000mA 3,6V battery for all day operation? And what about "wrist watch" antenna? Would be "earphone style" antenna enought for 40 meter band?

7. KC8VWM

Oh yeah, we need a wrist watch QRP radio. Sorry to hear you oppose and are not in favor of moving forward into the future.

I for one, welcome the future advancement of the radio art.

8. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be happy with just a wristwatch remote back to my MTR3b. That way I could wander around the house or campsite and still play radio!

9. KC8VWM

Bluetooth interface... lol

10. US7IGN

Why lol? My clones of PFR and MTR are Arduino based. You can just add arduino bluetooth module and get remote control.

KC8VWM and N8TGQ like this.