PK-PakRatt Terminal Program for Windows

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by W9GB, Sep 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't see the software on the website but they say it's down for maintenance. I did see the ad and would be interested. I have two running PK-232s and would like to run them in FSK mode for packet and RTTY.
    Rob
    WA9UAA

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Marketing far ahead of actual product availability ( formerly called VaporWare )

4. NT9E

NT9E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a PK-900 ready to operate once I get that software, if ever that happens. You were right at this point it's Vaporware.

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a PK232 I'd like to use to decode WEFAX.

My DOS era 5" floppy disk with the program is long gone.

They don't document the data format. I'm sure I could write a program for it, but I am too lazy to reverse engineer it.

Any ideas?

6. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Part of this thread in hopes for an answer some day. I still run two 900’s

7. WA9UAA

Some of the original DOS software is out there, at least for the PK-232.
    Rob

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may wish to write a letter to Timewave ( www.timewave.com ) or maybe Bob Bruninga (sp?), inventor of APRS. The would probably tell you that the business of one* Windows Version is a daydream. Here is a short list: Windows 3.1, Windows 3.1 for Workgroups, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 9. Now Windows NT and 2000 have an internal structure somewhat akin to Linux ( Kernel ). Apologies to Timewave, Bob ( APRS ), Microsoft, and Linux ( Linus T. ) for use of trademark/copyright names in this illustration of why conversion of DOS products to Windows can be a moving target. In the meantime, I may have an original disk in a box... now if I just had motivation to dig for it...

9. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I own 3 PK-232's (well, one is actually a Heathkit HK-232) with all the Timewave upgrades, a PK-900 (also upgraded) and a DSP-2232 (and a parts donor 4th PK-232). I use Secure CRT and/or PuTTY to run them when they are not behind some form of other software (DM780/ROC/APRS). And other than APRS, I don't use the others that much at all. If you are using them for sound card modes or FSK, then the other programs work just fine. But my microHam MKII works much better. I originally got them to work on the testing team for HRD. Is this whole thing because you really do not want to pay for some other software?

Since there is very little Packet to Packet still occurring (in my area at least), this whole thread is really not going to generate someone to write code for modern systems. That being said, the only GUI interface currently available is DM780, but you really need to be on the latest version.

If you just need a simple terminal program to use them, get PuTTY. It runs them just fine and it's free. https://www.putty.org/

If you want to do away with the hardware completely, then AGWPE works just fine via a sound card. https://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. WA9UAA

I like UZ7HO's sound card packet program, along with it's terminal program it is relatively easy to setup and run. I've had several keyboard to keyboard QSOs on 20M and a few on 40M. I didn't find any packet on 40M the last time I looked though. YMMV
    Rob