PK-232MBX will not connect

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WX2DX, Jan 27, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WX2DX

WX2DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am trying to use AirMail to connect to RRI-DTN stations to handle NTS messages. I have confirmed that AirMail is properly configured and it successfully initialized the PK-232MBX TNC that was tested and provided by RRI.

‘The receiving station confirmed that my signal was heard and that it was responding. However, my TNC times out after 30 seconds and does not connect.

‘It is curious that the monitor window shows activity with the radio on, so the TNC is getting input audio. However, the activity goes away when AirMail is launched and the PK-232 is initialized.

What am I missing?

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

The callsign generally is the first parameter to check- if your callsign is not in the 232MBX- your transmit is bound to be inhibited. Only the mark/space test would likely work without it. The second most common problem is DCD and squelch. If your TNC senses that other radios are transmitting ( maybe the squelch has audio routed all the time ), then it would not attempt to transmit at the same time. If the PC or other DTE connected is not seeing an on/off condition on the DCD ( Data carrier detect ) control wire of the RS-232, the only way to sense traffic would be using X-On/X-off in-band signals control. I always recommend starting with a serial cable which has more than pins 2,3, and 7 at the 25-pin end... there should be at least pins 2,3,4,6,7 ,8, 20 to include DTR ( Data Terminal Ready), CTS,RTS, DCD.

K8BZ likes this.