PIXIES!!!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KA0USE, Jul 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

well, i heard several squeals of excitement and a couple of groans. but only a couple, so that is a good thing.
    i bought several chinese pixie kits.
    i did find a couple of sources for one of the crystals (7055), but want to get a few more in the novice/tech portion of 40 (7025-7125). hc49/s or -u.
    all i seem to get on google when i mention pixie is a style of hair! i admit, it is fetching....but a bit off topic.
    where was i? ah- and the crystal sockets (i saw them described as 'saddles', but you can guess that horses popped up). a source for them?
    and what is the shorting plastic piece that sticks up for?

the only thing else i need is a key that is 'me'.

thanks much,
    rodney

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    AJ6KZ likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good question - the crystals are pretty tiny!! No idea what the case designation really is.

I have a couple variations on the Pixie including a "Frog Sounds" version.... no idea why they populate most of these things with a 7.023 crystal - must be some computer crystal that's dirt cheap and plentiful.

Fine if you're an Extra (I am) but for those NOT an Extra it's a PITA to find a proper replacement.

But even if you fit it for an FT-243 socket, I doubt you'd get any oscillation on "true FT-243" rocks - unless they were "modern re-stuffs" with a much smaller modern crystal in the FT-243 case

For the record, I've made a few contacts on a Pixie - only via a Sked with a local and a few during a CW contest.

Still amazing for how simple they are, that they even work at all!!

Dave
    W7UUU

AJ6KZ and KA0USE like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Tiny xtals; HC49S is short. HC49U is tall. Get em from KC9ON in Michigan. Low cost. Great guy. All bands... Many freqs.
    I cut up dual-in-line pin (DIP) type IC sockets and make xtal sockets. Perfect fit, snug.
    I change freq easy es quick...
    An excellent TX kit with 5w power is the None Simpler transmitter or NS-40+.
    I built two, super cheap, ez half hour build, no chirps, no drifts... 20 bucks on eBay all day.
    KC9ON / 3rd Planet Solar is BIG on QRP stuff... BTW his CALF filter works great too!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    N8TGQ and KA0USE like this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU and KA0USE like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a nice selection of 8 40m mini rocks for a low price! Compare the 13 freqs from 3rd Planet Solar's kit.
    I got 7060 and many others in mine from him with his "40m band Pack" for $12.75 shipped free too... eBay.

KA0USE likes this.
  6. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pixiekits.com also carries crystals and assorted kits you never knew you needed.
    I got Ohio and the 4 states adjacent on my pixie. Took 2 years of on and off trying though!

KA0USE likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

KA0USE likes this.
  8. KA0USE

i feel like i hit the fountain of smart, here!!
    thanks much, all!

9. KA0USE

and another thing. i've been told to start at the center of a board and work my way to the edges.
    this?:
    upload_2020-7-9_14-58-58.png

??

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would start with the smallest parts first. If you have two "big parts" next to each other but then need to install a 1/8th watt resistor right between, it could be a squeeze.

And just as those instructions say, "trust but verify"! I always check the component value and double check the location and orientation (if applicable) before soldering

Dave
    W7UUU

AJ6KZ, WJ4U, KA0USE and 1 other person like this.