PITCARIN DXpedition OCT 2019

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Nov 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

The next SUPERDXPEDITION has been announced! This dream team is going to Pitcarin!
    Ops include
    AA7A, EY8MM, JR4OZR, K0IR, K0PC, K9CT, N2TU, N4GRN, N6HC, W0GJ, W0VTT, W6IZT, W8HC and WB9Z

A group of 14 operators will activate Pitcairn Island in October of 2019. This will be a two-week, all band, all mode operation with transportation to and from the island provided by the RV Braveheart.

They had so much fun on Ducie they're going to do it all again!
    This one promises big beams, Kilowatts and a promise to work U everywhere and on all modes!
    more website quotes:
    Pitcairn Island

First and foremost, we want this to be fun. Fun for everyone. Work us on as many bands and modes as you like, share your QSO accomplishments and challenges with your friends, invite the Scouts or fifth grade class to your station, tell others of the unique history of this island, talk to your barber about it, and have a great time with us.

This will be a “propagation-based” DXpedition. We will do all we can to work parts of the world whose openings are “under” stronger signals. Propagation will determine everything from our fuel consumption to how many hours we sleep. We want to be there for you.

Although there may be some fine tuning, we plan for 8 stations, each capable of maximum legal power, with monoband Yagis for the high bands and verticals with good radial systems and directional receive antennas for the low bands. Remember the big 160 meter antenna DX Engineering designed for Bouvet, that never made it ashore? Fear not, it is going to Pitcairn Island. Under the watchful eye of EY8MM and RA6LBS’s equipment, we are expecting a world-class low band operation. We have the support of DX Engineering and Flex Radio for our stations and we have a great team. It doesn’t get any better than that. More details will appear in the coming months.

“Team members will fly to Tahiti and assemble there. Together, as a team, we will fly to Mangareva and take the ferry across the lagoon to board the Braveheart. Our equipment will already be aboard.

“This will be my fourth voyage on the Braveheart. Aboard this vessel I’ve experienced the quiet calm of a flat sea in the Indian Ocean, a sea so rough we chose to just maintain a heading off South Georgia, and the ice-ladened waters of the South Orkneys. Always, with the steady hands and good judgement of Nigel or Matt Jolly at the helm, I’ve felt safe and confident of a good outcome. This voyage will not be lengthy, only 30 hours or so, but it will be great to once again be aboard this ship that has been key in giving the DX community hundreds of thousands of QSO’s.

The Braveheart: A Ship Called Indomitable.

Ralph – KØIR” – https://pitcairndx.com/

Can I outdo my Ducie VP6D record of 26 band modes? Sure am going to try!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    W7UUU and K9ASE like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

Unknown if they will use the wonderful DXA again, we can sure hope they do!

K2HAT likes this.
  3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Darn another chip shot for the west coast

N2EY likes this.
  4. WA6MHZ

the DXA with very short latency Probably resulted in a 90% reduction in Dupes. Hams knew shortly if they were IN THE LOG and didn't need to rework them again for Insurance contacts. My only questionable QSOs were trying to work them on 160 FT8 and that might have been a Pirate

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I need them on 20 and 40. Looking forward to this. :) Someday I should try to put up something for 80 and 160, but I don't want anything in the front of the house to entice rope pullers.

6. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only need Pitcarin on 80 and 160. Maybe I can get a 160 antenna up by then...

7. WA6MHZ

20181107_112035[1].jpg I'm good on 15M SSB from Tom Christian

W7UUU and AB8MA like this.
  8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember the days when Tom Christian, VR6TC, was a mainstay on all bands. I have all bands confirmed on SSB. Maybe time to get them on CW

KP4SX likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

"Pitcairn"

N2SR and W7UUU like this.
  10. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A waste of effort. Why not go some place rare? This all the money they had left, for a simple trip?