Pipsqueak Regenerative Receiver

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC2SIZ, Nov 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you need more than 365 pf to tune the HF region, your L-C ratio is not optimum. (inductor not large enough)

2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

The inductor is a bit smaller in diameter than a 35mm film can, but I added more turns to make up for it. Instead of 15 turns tapped at 5, I have 21 turns tapped at 7. And again, I'm just guessing at the capacitance of that tuning cap, I didn't check it yet. I just used one which gave me a better tuning range. I'll play with it tonight and get more information.

3. N2UHC

I checked the cap tonight and it is indeed a 365 pF variable cap. And I was thinking that the frequency was at the highest with the vanes meshed, but actually it was the opposite. So adding extra capacitance lowered the frequency down to around 2 MHZ or so. So I'm not going to worry about trying to add extra capacitance with a band switch. Having 3-10 MHZ is good enough for such a simple receiver.

Only thing left is to cut a board, make a front panel, and finish everything up. No time tomorrow since I have to help someone move (oh joy), but maybe Sunday I'll be able to work on it.

4. N2UHC

I finally found time to finish the Pipsqueak. Photos attached. I still need to replace the volume pot since it only works in a couple of spots. It is an old one that was salvaged out of some old radio, so I will replace it with a different one.

Attached Files:

AJ6AH likes this.
  5. AJ6AH

AJ6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

That's awesome! How did you do the lettering and graphics on the front panel?

6. N2UHC

I simply printed them out on a large label, then cut them out and stuck them on.

Been having fun playing with this radio, picks up everything from around 3 MHZ to just over 10 MHZ. Conditions aren't great and I've got some bad electrical popping and buzzing, but I've heard quite a few SW stations on it, as well as WWV on 5 and 10, and CHU on 7850. This morning I was listening to some 75M AM hams.

7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing the photos. Well done! It looks great.

8. N2UHC

Thanks.

9. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be referring to

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9811qex026.pdf

(see "Construction Guidelines" where the author discusses why full metal cabinets are not suggested)

10. N2UHC