ad: wmr-1

Pioneer Lighthouse Activator: Robert E. Crawford, VE1REC, SK July 27, 2019

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KB3K, Aug 18, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB3K

KB3K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society ARLHS, written by Jim Elliott, KA3UNQ:

It is with profound sadness that I report the passing of Bob Crawford, VE1REC, ARLHS member # 271, of Dartmouth, NS, Canada. Bob was 78. For those of us in the society that go back to the very early days of lighthouse activations, that call sign was, without a doubt, featured in all of our log books. Personally, I’m sure I have over 300 Canadian lighthouse confirmations attributed to Bob’s years of traveling all over Nova Scotia and beyond to seek out and provide us with a new one.

On most of his lighthouse adventures, Bob was accompanied by his wife, Elizabeth, who sat in the back seat of the car reading a book while Bob worked the airwaves seeking one more call for his log. Although based in Nova Scotia, Bob’s travels took him to other provinces in Eastern Canada, such as Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and even Quebec where he would stop along the way to put on a lighthouse as they traveled to visit one of his sons living in Montreal.

On the air, Bob was the model of decorum providing us neophyte activators a wonderful example to follow. I guess if there was one thing that was memorable about Bob’s on-air persona was his laugh. It was great to hear…loud, distinctive and absolutely genuine. Here was a man totally enjoying what he was doing and wasn’t shy about letting you know about it.

As years passed, it has always bothered me that Bob was never the recipient of the AOY award from the ARLHS. Recently the society awarded Bob a life-time achievement award and sent him this plaque seen below. Rest in Peace, old friend. You were an inspiration to many of us and are truly missed.

ARLHS news post
    http://arlhs.com/2019/08/bob-crawford-ve1rec-sk/

Obituary
    http://www.donaldkwalker.ca/obituaries/robert-elgin-crawford/

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Robert E Crawford, VE1REC SK

[​IMG]

10-10 Number: 42022

Obituary for Robert Elgin Crawford

On Saturday July 27th , Bob passed away at the Dartmouth General Hospital at the age of 78.

Born in Dartmouth, he was the only son of Robert and Pearl ( Naugle ) Crawford.

Bob was a member of the Canadian Armed Forces ( Air ) and trained as an X-Ray Technician. Upon his discharge, he joined the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires and was employed by the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission. He was a Beaver Leader in Dartmouth South and was involved in Leadership Training courses in Boy Scouts where he earned the title “Chief Hug-a-Tree”. Bob was also a hockey coach for many years with the Dartmouth Whalers and SEDMHA associations. He was an Amateur Radio operator (VE1 REC) and was a member of the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society. As a member he spent many enjoyable and sometimes adventurous trips to locate and photograph over 300 Lighthouses in Eastern Canada.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Elizabeth ( Moxsom ), sons Mark ( Christina ), Montreal and Dwayne, Dartmouth. Besides his parents he was deceased by sisters Linda and Sheila Lord.

At Bob’s request there will be no visitation. Funeral service will be held at 11 A.M. on Friday August 2nd at the Church of the Holy Spirit, Regency Drive, Dartmouth, Reverend Edwin Ebsary officiating. If desired memorial donations may be made to Church of the Holy Spirit, 1 Regency Drive, Dartmouth, Feed Nova Scotia or charity of choice.

Online condolences at www.donaldkwalker.ca
    http://www.donaldkwalker.ca/obituaries/robert-elgin-crawford/