Pink Slip Confession Booth

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 14, 2022 at 6:45 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD8T

WD8T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only notice I ever received was from a well meaning OO in 2004 to let me know I was operating on a frequency not authorized by my license class privileges. It was somewhere in the Extra portion of 20 meters. As of 2004 I had held a 2x1 call for 17 years.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

G3EDM likes this.
  3. KD7MW

KD7MW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never got one of those green or pink tickets. There was some discussion in my high school radio club about whether so-and-so had won the Worked All FCC award. ;)

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've gotten four: three from FCC and one from a dopey OO.

1 1969: The classical "heard you just just 7400 kHz" Notice from Allegan because I had mistuned my Lettine 240 while operating 80 as a Novice -- or maybe just because it was a Lettine 240.

2 1978: I'd just gotten my Extra and was operating below 14025; the FCC Notice, to the me formerly known as Advanced, allowed as to how their monitoring-station records might not be sufficiently up to date.

3 1982: My favorite: Visiting my dad in Chicago and using his station for my very first 30 m session, and with my Seattle call (Ak7M) /9, I got a Notice because his transmitter had a hum problem! (And now you know why I insist on monitoring my signal in real time while transmitting.)

4 2009 or so: I'd set up my HW-16 transceiver to use driver-plate-and-screen/final-screen primary keying to give my note those beautiful bell-like tails. An OO cited me for "chirp" because, hey, if that keying characteristic I don't understand isn't chirp, what else could it possibly be?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 3:52 AM
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Love that story. Kinda like leaving your blinker on after a turn.

K8BZ likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Consider that hams in at least SOME countries (including Canada) don't have (or have the same) phone band limitations of U.S. hams.

8. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I have learned, the fragmentation of the HF bands into 'phone and other segments and by licence classes is specific for the US.

A few countries have "incorporated by reference" the IARU regional band-plans in their rules but it is highly unlikely that these practices would survive a legal challenge.

However, it seems likely that the amateur calling out the "error" had an US callsign, and if so, also was operating out-of-band segment.

I have noticed that...:)

Up to the temporary end of the Cold War, HF radiomonitoring here was done by three agencies;
    • The Telecom Administration which in the early-90s became split up, and the monitoring tasks went to the Post&Telecom regulatory agency
    • Security police
    • Military SIGINT
    After a brief "power struggle" the Security police lost out and dismantled their listening posts, often turning the assets over to SIGINT.

This leaves SIGINT and Post&Telecoms Agency.

SIGINT people are very secretive so my knowledge of their current HF habits are fragmented, but the "routine band-scanning" that was the hallmark of 60s/70s, and consumed a lot of man-hours, seems to have become history. Now, any monitoring is made on suspicion that something "fishy" is going on.

The Post&Telecom Agency has completely lost interest in HF.

This I know because they share the same receiving site as the Air/Ground operations that I am engineering advisor for, and their equipment is almost never used, especially since the two officials that showed somewhat of an interest retired three years ago, leaving only one (1) person who has any knowledge of HF in the Agency, and his man-hours are most likely used for more pressing matters than monitoring the amateur bands.

For years, it has been nearly impossible to get even a reply of an interference complaint on the Air/Ground HF frequencies, and a reply often consisted of that the issue had been deferred to the German regulator which, at least some years ago, showed some interest in "keeping the HF spectrum clean".

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W9BRD likes this.
  9. W9BRD

Yes. For such slow transmissions I commonly actually copy, writing everything down with a pencil and paper. The impatient mind is prone to wandering...

Not only that, but ops using that method -- Farnsworth spacing -- may also tend to make interword spaces too short, adding further value -- toward determining where words and abbreviations begin and and -- to writing every character down as it comes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 4:14 PM
  10. W9BRD

Likewise the Drake 2-NT.

BTW, some HW-16s, I'm guessing earlier ones, have current meters that go only to 150 mA -- insufficient max-current headroom for "tuning and dipping" with a TV sweep tube capable of continuously running an average of 175 mA cathode current across many hours of TV-watching.