ad: elecraft

Pink Slip Confession Booth

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 14, 2022 at 6:45 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's perfect!!!!

73 de Martin, G3EDM

2. GM3ZMA

GM3ZMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, hardly ever!

Jim GM3ZMA

3. G3EDM

Well, without naming names, in the past couple of weeks I've hung out with someone who was about 5wpm. I'm more like 10-12wpm.

The weird thing is that really slow Morse is very hard to copy. Each character is no longer a "sound unit" but gets broken down into dits and dahs. If you have learned Morse with any of the modern methods, this "doesn't compute".

I really admire the ops who can copy (and send) at any speed, from the glacially slow to maximum QRQ.

73 de Martin, G3EDM

K5ITM likes this.
  4. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was the manager of KOTZ, we got a Notice of Violation from the FCC that ordered us to repair the ground system after their inspection. As manager I replied we were not going to do it. I never heard a word from the FCC.

A few years ago, I got an OO notice that I was interfering with a roundtable contact on 7200 KHz. I was on 7202. (The round table on 7200 was full of profanity). I replied to the OO what did you do about the profanity on 7200. Once again, no response.

W4NNF and KA4DPO like this.
  5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am quite convinced that no "official" monitoring of amateur radio emission quality takes place today, at least not by the deregulated Administrations of Europe, with the possible exception of Germany.

In theory, all provisions about signal quality and frequency stability that exist in the ITU Radio Regulations and its Appendices apply to amateur radio, but there is a complication due to the fact that amateur radio does not use channel rasters, so any discussions about being "off frequency" are quite moot.

For two decades, I had the civilian radiomonitoring officials as colleagues, and learned somewhat about their habits of"grading" imperfections in the emissions. Being outside the band limits caused an official citation to be issued, which for first-time offenders was more of a reminder of the licence conditions, but a reply with an explanation was required, at least during the years that the Administration was somewhat interested in the quality of amateur radio.

If the cmissions were confined inside the amateur bands, things like hum, chirp and yoop/drift were noticed, but no action was taken unless someone drifted outside the band limits. A border-line case were key-clicks as it had the potential to annoy many other users, even outside the amateur bands.

Today, the radiomonitors are totally disinterested in listening on the amateur bands, so even quite egregious violations go unnoticed. It is only self-control and group-pressure that may constrain any "bad emissions". The 7 MHz Morse transmitter that I built earlier this winter is an example of this. It started out as an ECO-PA according to 1930s practices, with a small transmitter tube (PE 06/40) driving a pair of 807s.

This transmitter sounded "terrible" according to today's standards with clicks and chirps when operated into a dummy load, so a re-design was done, and the ECO was turned into a buffer/doubler driven from a 6SK7 low-power Hartley ECO and the whole contraption grid-block keyed. This improved the tonal qualities sufficiently to make it useable.

I do however like when transmitters have some character, and sometimes I feel tempted to use my ITT-Standard Radio CT450 exciter with its "A1 Chirp" mode selection, and the internal control set for an "UA9 Chirp",,,

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never gotten a notice for any violation, not from an OO, or the FCC. However, as a novice I was bitched at a couple of times by OT's who were hearing my mistuned transmitter on 20 meters, I thought I was tuning on 40, but the 2nd harmonic was hot enough to cause QRM on 20.

KI5WW, W4NNF and N3AWS like this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Alas....QST didn't think so. HI!
    I like your crystal caddy on your QRZ page....I have one myself....a double decker!

G3EDM likes this.
  8. G3EDM

All this quotation of Gilbert and Sullivan reminded me of the classic trope on Crime and Punishment (for ham transgressions, in this case).

Maybe we can come up with our own lyrics. What is the punishment for being out of band? Operating outside our privileges?

How can we make The Punishment Fit the Crime? (This being an international forum, I apologize to our "J" prefix friends for the politically incorrect depictions.)

Unfortunately in my case it is intimately bound up with being in various G&S amateur productions, usually in the chorus or whatever.

73 de Martin, G3EDM

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's one on the HW-16's tiny meter too. :)

Why I had the power control (which affected bias voltage on the 6GE5 final's screen) turned up is lost in the mists of time. But when I read that meter with the key down and saw it pegged on the right, I was prettified!:eek::eek:

upload_2022-1-14_16-54-20.png

W5BIB, KA4DPO, W4KYR and 1 other person like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know a thing about your country. Here? Monitoring does take place in the US. However, due to budget and personnel constraints--it doesn't have anything to do with "interest" or "disinterest"--it's minimal unless there has been problematical activity the FCC is aware of.

KA4DPO likes this.