ad: MyersEng-1

Pileups & amplifiers

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KJ7ZEI, Jun 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember around 1990 when my son VP2EXX won some contest with QRP and the "regulars" had a fit and called him a liar. I knew the station and what it was capable of. (It was mine!) I ran JA pileups with nothing more than a flicker on the wattmeter. Great location.
    People don't like being outgunned by a 16-year old who stays up 48 hours continuous on the radio in a contest. Did he bump the power up behind my back? I don't think so since that was not his style. He didn't need to!

K8BZ, WN1MB and WD4ELG like this.
  2. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's certainly the case in Europe that most of the people you hear in a pileup are there because the cluster told them to go there, and we have a lot of people who have amps and generate appalling signals with them.

If you hear the DX when it has just tuned up and get in before the pileup, you can work plenty with QRP. Of course where there are DXpeditions with predictable operating patterns and frequencies, it can be more difficult, because there may be others waiting. But generally it is surprising how few people use their receiver and build up a picture in their minds of where and when DX hangs out or when the paths are open. The cluster has its uses, I use it myself, but it is infinitely more satisfying to work DX because you have used your own resources to hunt it. And it is a way to get your business done at lower power before the people with amps show up!

WN1MB and KJ7ZEI like this.
  3. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

My furthest DX has been Jakarta, Indonesia and I found that station by just spinning the VFO knob. I made contact before he showed up on the spotting website and the ensuing pileup began.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    KP4SX, K8BZ, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what antenna(s) are you using?

5. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Force 12 C3S at 30' and OCF dipole at 60'.

N2IW likes this.
  6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As we used to say in the Navy, "Put some miles on the dials".
    You have the mind set and attitude of a good CW operator. Put a better antenna up (I recommend a Hex beam) and learning and using CW on your "goals" list and you will have decades of fun and new experiences before you will feel the need to get an amp. Can't wait to work you when I get back on the air next summer.

KJ7ZEI, KE0GXN and NI0C like this.
  7. W4HRL

W4HRL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings Brett -

Congratulations on your new license. Chasing DX can be a great hobby.

One way I started marking off new countries when I was just starting was to participate in the various DX contests (and Field Day for adding on states). During these contests more folks are on the air and a lot of them are on the air from "new" countries for you. Sure, there are lots of other folks vying for that same station as you but that allows you to practice your pileup skills.

The next big SSB contest (CQ Worldwide DX Contest) is this upcoming weekend - Oct 30 - 31.

One way to keep up with what contest is coming up, as well as what the rules and exchanges are, is to look at WA7BNM's Contest Calendar page: https://www.contestcalendar.com/weeklycont.php There are other Webpages that track contests also.

If you do decide to dip your toes into contests, remember the signal report is always "59" even if you had to try six times for the station to understand your weak signal. (It's a contest thing....)

And if you do participate, be sure to submit a log, even if you have only a contact or two. Gives the station you talked to contest credit.

Again congratulations, and enjoy your new hobby.
    W4HRL
    Mike in Poquoson VA

KJ7ZEI likes this.