Pileups & amplifiers

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KJ7ZEI, Jun 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Any favorite operators?

I like the ones that like to do more than call sign/signal report exchanges. Not that I want to ragchew during a pileup. But it is nice to exchange a little more...

2. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll find after about 100 countries the qso's will be mostly pileup style and not much rag chewing. I'm fine with that. YMMV

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

A commendable accomplishment. And a comfortable chair no doubt.:)

K2DFC likes this.
  4. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a love for the hobby. And many years. Yes I did invest in a comfortable chair, which I now have to share with my cat.;)

5. N9NY

N9NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with WN1MB. Get your sills up and enjoy working a pile up barefoot. Remember many of these stations in a rare pileup are BIG GUN with lots of power. You have to work on your skill so when the station calls 5 up, you know how to get them barefoot. I worked North Korea P5 barefoot.
    Good luck.
    Gregg N9NY

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  6. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

I met Dan a few years ago after we'd exchanged a few emails. He invited me over to talk about DXing and I really wanted to pick his brain and see what enabled him to accomplish all that he has. His antenna (13 dB gain), of course, is awesome but with QRP power feeding it, his ERP is still only 100 watts.

Dan is one of those guys who approach their aspect of a hobby with a laser-like focus and supreme dedication. The details of propagation paths on various bands is something he pays constant attention to. His logbook reads like it must belong to an east-coast superstation with a kilowatt, multiple towers, etc. But no - it's juts a simple rig, an urban location (just a few miles from downtown San Antonio), a great antenna and a whole lot of know-how.

To my continued amazement, QRP ARCI has refused to induct him into the QRP Hall of Fame.

Photos of our visit are here:
    http://ae5x.blogspot.com/2019/04/wg5g-qrp-dxcc-honor-roll.html

John AE5X

WN1MB and KJ7ZEI like this.
  7. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

What?? Why not?

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Politics perhaps?

9. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

I was told that it is because he considers himself a DXer first, a QRPer second. This, according to QRP ARCI, doesn't serve to "promote QRP". I nominated Dan 9 years ago after meeting him and submitting the linked write-up to QRP Quarterly (which they published). My subsequent nomination of him was refused with that as the explanation.

So I looked at other Hall of Famers and concluded that politics must account for at least a few of them. For the leading QRP DXer to be rejected to QRP H of F status is absurd.

I've had nothing to do with QRP ARCI since.

K8BZ and WN1MB like this.
  10. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be patient, the cycle is improving and there will come a time when you will be able to work all sorts of dx. Yes, even with only 100 watts and a wire. Also, if you feel the need to get some dx contacts and cards, there are many dx contests offered during the year. Participate, after the first few contest hours, the band will become fertile for low power contacts....

KJ7ZEI likes this.