ad: M2Ant-1

Pileups & amplifiers

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KJ7ZEI, Jun 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, and you could go over to the "dark side" and try the FT digital modes. I have 100 watts (or less) and a ground-mounted trap vertical with just a handful of radials on a city lot, and running about 50 watts on FT4 and FT8, I have worked over 80 countries since January 1 this year.

Sometimes, like in my case, there just isn't anything to hang antennas from or to attach them to, so you can only "optimize" the compromise you call your antenna. I will not run an amplifier, though. Never have, and don't think I ever will. Right now, none of my neighbors realize that I have a ham station here. Running a big amp could change that, and I don't want the notoriety.

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  3. KJ7ZEI

Thanks WA9FZB! Yes, I do see myself investigationg digital soon. Viewing a spotting website over the last week, I see a ton of stations on FT4/8.

Doubt I'll get an amp any time soon, cost being the biggest reason. I'm new and I'm having a good time right now at 100 watts.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

My amp is a ballpoint pen I use to simulate turning on an imaginary amp while the mic is keyed that makes curmugeons on 160 and 80M tell me I'm suddenly 59 with the same 100 Watts after complaining about my weak signal.

Have fun with 100 Watts for a while. I'm going on 15 years.

WN1MB, KJ7ZEI and WA9FZB like this.
  5. KJ7ZEI

Curmugeons. I like that. Haven't heard that word in a long while. I'm going to use that vociferously this week. ;)

6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a vocabulary staple of this message board. Use it freely, endearingly and unsparingly.

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  7. KJ7ZEI

Well. Happy to say I certainly did not just need an amp. I got Sweden with my setup!!!!!!!! Only my 2nd DX QSO!

K8BZ, VE6CLG and AB8MA like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Be sure to spell it correctly.
    :)

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  9. KJ7ZEI

10. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

322 countries confirmed. All at 100 watts or less. No amp, no FT-8.

N2IW and KJ7ZEI like this.