Pileups & amplifiers

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KJ7ZEI, Jun 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious as to how useful an amplifier is during pileups?

I have only been licenced for less than 3 weeks. I am still giddy as a kid at Christmas with a QSO with Barcelona Spain 6 days ago. I did that with 100 watts on 20m.

I've worked a station in Russia with no luck.. Hearing the station at a 59. Last night I tried getting through to a station in Australia that I heard 57. Plenty of West coast of North America stations were making QSO's. I assumed they were operating above 100 watts.

I've got some antenna experimentation to do and don't have immediate plans for an amp. Just curious and hoping to start a dialogue with more experinenced radio operators.

Brett

N9NY likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on getting licensed and already working some DX!

I strongly advise not getting an amplifier until you've got at least a year of operating under your belt. There are a lot of operating skills to learn and practice that will serve you well, increase your countries worked count, and add to your overall enjoyment of our sport. For the time being, read, listen, learn, and work 'em. Consider maxing out your antenna system before you start drooling onto the advertisement pages for amplifiers.

As for hearing the DX stations well, but they don't hear you -- it may very well may be that they're running wicked high power, but "can't hear as well as they can talk." Such operators are known as alligators: big mouth, small ears. ;)

Many hams have impressive DX tallies and "only" run 100W. And plenty of QRPers manage to work a lot of DX with 5W or less. Generally the latter are very skilled operators - they know their gear, they know how the DX station is running 'em, they know the current propagation pattern, and they know "the game."

Stick with it, save your dollars, and have fun.

DM2TT, VE6CLG, KA2FIR and 15 others like this.
  3. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to having fun and learning!

4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

100 watter here. No amount wattage with an amp is going to overcome propagation. It’s either there or not. Working DX takes a lot skill and patience. Invest in those two and I promise you will get plenty of DX. There is nothing better than using your own voice too make a contact and hearing your call sign repeated back to you from some from away land, with nothing but a simple wire and your radio.

Good DX and 73!

N8RKD, KJ7ZEI, K0UO and 4 others like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just had a pileup in my clothes dryer.

Sheets have no respect for socks.

KQ9J, N9NY, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a lot of sheet to me...

N9NY likes this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never make that assumption. Too many other variables to the problem. Power is only one aspect. You've probably heard this before: antenna, antenna, antenna. when you have maxed out the antenna, then it's time to go high power.

That said, propagation also plays a big part of this: you can sometimes work a lot of stations with lower power if the propagation is there. This is especially true the higher you go in frequency (HF frequency that is) a bit stranger on VHF /UHF.

Also be aware that going higher in power brings its own set of problems. Problems like interference with various electronic devices, up to and including your own station! You're still new and judging from your bio pix, you have a good set up there. Be patient... The DX will come... Summer is the doldrums and to add to that, we are in a sunspot minimum right now. Things will improve in the fall, and the new cycle is ready to begin.

Any.
    Day.
    Now...

:D

KA2FIR and KJ7ZEI like this.
  8. WB2WIK

Nah, socks have a secret method to hide one after every wash.

I think it's a secret sockshake or something.

9. WB2WIK

Timing, operator experience, antennas and propagation matter more.

But of course a kW is 10 dB "stronger" than 100W, and once you've done everything else you can do, an amplifier certainly helps.

Best investment for many is "first" a better antenna. If you have a big beam on a tall tower, you may not easily improve that; but if you have a low dipole or simple vertical, these are very easy to improve and may cost less than an amplifier.

"Some" DX stations reply more often to stations they already know. "Hey, Charlie, haven't heard you in two weeks -- how ya doing?" and all that...even if your signal is getting through, they may answer someone they know first.

That's life.

K8BZ, N7ZV and KJ7ZEI like this.
  10. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^^^ A voice of reason, which I strongly endorse ^^^^^

I did ham radio for 33 years before I got an amp. Heck, I did wires for antennas for 29 years before I got a hex beam.

I bought the amp because I had maximized everything else in my station, including my skills. I was stuck at 265 DXCC, and I wanted to improve my signal on 80 and 160 to go after 9BDXCC (it did that for sure). And there were several countries in Southeast Asia that I could hear but they could not hear me (several years of trying). And that did it for me also....I am at 316...the remaining ones are uninhabited islands/reefs (e.g., BS7), or totalitarian/oppressive regimes (e.g. P5).

My recommendation is to spend the money on the best antenna you can get, before you spend a single penny on an amplifier. And get on the air. A lot. Work DX. Learn from others. Read everything you can on the topic.

Check out the QRZ page for WG5G, who has Honor Roll using 5 watts. He's a fabulous operator. And his antenna is a custom-built 5-element quad. He doesn't need an amp. Never had one, never will. Think about that for a minute. Honor roll with 5 watts. It's not just the antenna, it's the operator and his skills/studying/planning. He's using a TS-130, no panadapter. Blows my mind when I think about it. QSO Today Podcast - QSO TODAY AMATEUR RADIO PODCAST

Me, with an HOA to contend with...I had to even the odds a bit since a tower and high-gain antenna are not possible. So I bought a Tokyo High Power THP 1.2 kFx for $2300 in December 2010. All solid state, idiot proof. I mostly use it now during the winter on 80 and 160. Not much new DX on the higher bands until we get some DXpeditions to P5-land or Bouvet!

KA2FIR, WG7X, KJ7ZEI and 1 other person like this.