ad: w5yi

PiHole and QRZ.com

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W2BTK, Dec 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W2BTK

W2BTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello

I have been experiencing trouble trying to configure my PiHole blocklist/whitelist so that I do not break QRZ.com
    It seems a lot of the images are hosted at s3.amazonaws , which is a commonly blocked domain by many of these lists. (tons of ads come from there, as well as useful stuff.) Is there any way that anyone knows of to whitelist s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com ? I am not sure how you would configure this, or whitelist part of a domain. Or perhaps there is a better work-around.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this trouble?
    W2BTK

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally you can use the security settings in your browser.

Depending on your browser flavor, It is normally labeled "Trusted Site" or something like that.

I have never used PiHole. I use the system hosts file, For trash like Facebook.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  3. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

The pihole looks to be just a dns server, so you can only block entire domains. You could probably unblock it on the pihole and use one of the browser based blockers which will match patterns.

I prefer to block the entire domain and let things break, when stuff stops working I don't go back.

Watch out for the DNS over HTTPS(DOH!) showing up in some browsers
    doh.jpg

K0UO likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah wow is that a big mistake. But I think most browsers let the user turn it off. For now...

Another reason to not use Chrome.

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Another reason not to use Chrome is actually another reason to entirely avoid Google.

There are a lot of reasons to encrypt and sign DNS requests, but Google is in the process of upending nearly every ISP's traffic management for DNS and forcing those requests to transit over peered connections. Not to mention, moving DNS to the application for one specific purpose. When they finish doing it for Android and ChromeOS, it is going to be a real problem for mobile carriers. Like accelerated mobile pages, they're breaking other people's things for their own benefit.

Unfortunately, sympathy is scarce for the ISPs who have in the past broken DNS for their own benefit.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    KE8FGB, K0UO and K6CLS like this.
  6. W2BTK

W2BTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats what I thought.
    But yes, just a dns sever. I give it a blocklist of ad server and it pointes them to 0.0.0.0

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

T-Mobile is bad about that.

It really sucks when you have to block your own ISP. :eek:

So..... What DNS server is the best to use ?

8. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Google can then collect all DNS queries from their browser, which might be over 60% of users. Few people will change any settings.

I don't know, myself. I use a local DNS server(unbound) and OpenDNS upstream, also blocking/redirecting several things on the firewall.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the old GTE 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 which are now (localized) provided by Layer 3

10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I quit using them when they broke NXDOMAIN replies.