Pigeon morse code

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by M0AGP, Jul 19, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

As a teenage ham and CW enthusiast, I kept hearing very weak (couldn’t quite copy it) CW coming from various things like the fridge compressor, so I may be imagining this: does anyone else hear “niririe” coming from pigeons? (Silence apart from crickets chirping) I am in a rural setting in southeast England, and they seem to call this to each other. Some have pretty good “fists” and some are very sloppy. In some situations they seem to send “rrr”... Almost like they are having FT8 QSOs ;-)

Don’t worry, no need to send the asylum ambulance-I’m not crazy (my mother had me tested).

N2AMM likes this.
  2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear CW everywhere. My refrigerator and microwave oven, I think, are plotting an escape.

M0AGP, N8AFT and N2AMM like this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

CW - man, you guys have all the luck. All I hear are the voices in my head....AM?

NQ8J, N2AMM and M0AGP like this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

SAME HERE!
    My SK wife Kim started to hear it all the time after I learned Morse code and began using it within her ear shot!

K8PG and M0AGP like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless there's a BFO btween yer ears!
    Learn Morse and catch up!

6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's just a reception issue. The filter is too narrow....maybe?

7. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when I was hot and heavy getting my speed up to ~25 WPM in my youth, I was hearing CW everywhere. Birds chirping, branches creaking. insects buzzing, doors squeaking.

Years later when I was awakened by a woodpecker eating my house, for a second I thought it was American Morse on a sounder.

I don't think psychiatric intervention or medication is necessary if that's your only symptom and you're otherwise functional.

K8PG, M0AGP and N2AMM like this.
  8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try going into a ER all the machines are sending CW.

M0AGP likes this.
  9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Doves here in East Texas keep telling me to "wait." (di-dah-di-di-dit)

M0AGP likes this.
  10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

In Iowa we don't hear pigeon Morse, we hear pig latin.

M0AGP likes this.