Pi Network, Plate tuning cap, etc

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K9FV, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, I don't. On the 4-1000A it doesn't matter. On the 8877 I just have a 120 second timer that prevents the amp from keying for 120 seconds after it's first turned on.

2. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tom - That is a big amp!! I'm getting more understanding how to handle the tube placement, tank circuit placement, etc. Thanks to you and others for all the info.

I think I'll use some ideas from the Ameritron grid/HV protect circuit and add a timer circuit to my PTT circuit to prevent amp from keying for 2 minutes. This will allow HV to anode. Without the amp keyed, there should be no current and ok?

Thank you again to all for help and info.

73 de Ken H>

3. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Big amplifiers are often good examples, because you can "see" things. Also sloppy mistakes that we get away with show up like a bright LED stoplight when high circulating currents are involved.

If a I build a 1 watt amp it can have all sorts of very gross mistakes and bad wiring and not raise a red flag. If I build a 50kW amp, it better be done correctly or things with even small unexpected loss can cook. :)

Providing you open the cathode return there can be no significant cathode current, so warm up is safe.

Check this if you haven't:

http://www.w8ji.com/bias.htm

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tom - I read over that page a while back and a lot of it didn't stick at the time due to my lack of knowledge. Now when I read over it, hey - it makes sense!!

I can see where a QRP amp could handle errors better than a "big" amp could - hey, a few mA of current floating around isn't too damaging, but let a 100 amps go wrong, boy can that cause fireworks!

73 de Ken H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.