ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a long time tech I have been looking at possibly using a Pi as a SDR (receive only) to read active signals, signal strength, etc. Anyone else have suggestions for using it in this method or is it even possible?

2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had a Pi with a USB stick running for about a year and a half, decoding a single VHF frequency, works fine. I have another USB stick I can connected to with SDR# or similar when I want, running both streams maxes out the CPU. I am not doing any waterfall displays or anything on the Pi.

Steve
    KV6O

4. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

You might be able to pull it off if you program the GPIO pins as analog in, and do the magic to it, akin to the sound-card SDR that one group pulled off a few years ago to get the SARC broadcasts.

5. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this fits with what you want to do ?
    In looking at the easiest / cheapest way to add pan adapter etc. to my Kenwood TS-850 , I 1st saw this on Alan's W2AEW youtube page , ham-it-up-converter , with several videos with options & mods .
    https://code.google.com/p/opendous/wiki/Upconverter
    I am not completely informed on the Pi's , but in my concept the Pi is an extra device in the system that can be left out in my example , it seems that some of the uses of Pi's are redundant , but that is without knowing enough about all above , just trying to keep it simple ;)

6. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The CPU speed of the Pi is 512MHz, but the Beagle Bone Black is 1 GHz. I checked the Odroid and it is 1.7 GHz. BBB is the same price as the Pi.

7. K4ISR

ok thanks all, I will do some more research. I primarily want to use it as a small RF detection device to find out why (or at least detection of the exact frequency causing it) in certain areas, where there is all sorts of interference on certain repeater frequencies, especially 10-15 miles from town (and more distance from the repeaters), close to my fishing hole.

8. 2E0TRN

2E0TRN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have set up the Pi with RTL-SDR as an SDR server, and SDR# on a Windows 7 laptop into a waterfall display.

I have found it glitchy. It keeps crashing and after a crash needs the USB dongle to be taken out and re-inserted, making it useless for its intended purpose as an unattended server. Hopefully a bomb proof version of RTL-SDR will eventually be coded.

9. K4ISR

Thanks for the info. I have the RTL-SDR dongle from NooElec and with it connected directly to my PC, I can run it in SDR# all day if I like. HDSDR will not work but thats not a discussion for here.

10. KV4LQ

KV4LQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction: The Pi has 512Mb of Ram, and 700MHz of CPU.

The Pi 2 has 900MHz quad-core CPU, with 1Gb of RAM. This would really work a lot better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.