ad: M2Ant-1

photo's of your for sale equipment

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KA1BSZ, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see photo's of amateur radio equipment for sale on the swap post here on QRZ and some pictures are so faded,blurry,some are so poor that you can hardly make out what it is that they are trying to sell.Are people afraid to post a clear picture of there might be something wrong with it? or it might be a stolen item ( hope not! )? or their asking price and real picture might get revel what it looks like and the asking price may be too high? what ever the reason, people should post clear photo of what their trying to sell. Would you want to buy something that looked kinda ok when in fact when you get it, it isn't anything like what the picture " says " it is?

K9ASE, N1VAU and N3AB like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm with ya, brother. I simply do not understand why so many sellers post such crappy, fuzzy, dark, out-of-focus photos and then ask $$$$ for the item.

Makes no sense to me. I always want to ask them, "would YOU buy something for $1000 with such a crappy photo to go by?"

I just don't get it

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB and KA1BSZ like this.
  3. KA1BSZ

I bought a kenwood 2 meter radio ( tm-241 ) from another classified column. This radio was advertised as " almost new " as shown in the picture and it looked brand new. When I got it, it was dirty,there grime in the heat sinks, the volume control knob was a little lose. It came poorly packaged,the owners manual has coffee stains on it, the power cord had been either spliced or repaired and the electrical tape was poorly applied. The owner swore up and down that this radio was new. Then he said " well it's been sitting on my top shelve for the past 7 years ". I demanded my money refunded and he said you bought this radio as is,no returns. Then I mentioned the VERMONT ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE OF CONSUMER PROTECTION DIV and would be filing a complaint of mail fraud and forward my complaint to the USPS MAIL INSPECTOR OFFICE and file a report of mail fraud. I got my refund back in less than a week.

WN2SQC and N3AB like this.
  4. KA1BSZ

thank you.

5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know exactly what you mean!

I just chaulk it up as one of the things that screams "DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER!" and I click the next ad.

N3AB likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Offer, Will trade for good camera. :)

WA4CZD likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And for God's sake clean the rig up a little before taking the picture. Did your Mother need to always tell you to clean your room?

K9ASE likes this.
  8. N1VAU

What, you don't like "Lightly Cleaned"?

9. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is there is nothing nefarious behind the poor pictures.

Lack of photography skills
    Lack of photo editing software
    Lack of computer skills
    Lack of financial or other resources (outdated equipment)

If anyone ever needs help, just send me a message. I'll do what I can to help.

10. N1VAU

I agree in most cases, but I can't help wondering if the "point and click" and then review picture before posting it on a forum kicks the seller's arse I can only speculate what damage they've done to the items offered for sale from improper operation.

Cameras come with manuals, radio equipment comes with manuals, mere coincidence?

But hey, that's just me :D