photos of field work mini keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W8ZNX, Sep 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

ahoy
    photos of keys ive used for field work
    big and clunky built like tank US Army Signal Corps J-45
    (spring steel clamp will put your leg to sleep, unless you are skinny 19 year old )
    single lever paddle American Morse kit key, use this one the most
    Soviet Military min straight key handy works great well built cheap

made leg strap from elastic material and some Velcro

still in the stacks
    mac

Attached Files:

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey MAC,... probably not too much response to this thread since you've already posted much of the same info in another post; "PORTABLE KEY FOR FIELD DAY OPS".... (by KB1CKT)
    BTW,...
    68 years old / 54 years as a ham,.. I have NO clue as to the meaning of "STILL IN THE STACKS"...

Please enlighten me...:)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  3. W8ZNX

hello
    its a old Library /book store line
    the stacks refer to the stacks/shelves of books

see photo of book store dog Marconi in the stacks
    yours truly
    mac

Attached Files:

4. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on how "modern" you are, you might be interested in this: "Books" are things that have sheets of actual paper with text permanently imprinted instead of having the text shown on an inter-active changeable electronic display. A book might have several hundred of these paper sheets, printed on both sides, and attached to one another such that the sheets can be "turned" to reveal the next "page" of text. These "books" are amazing things; they use no batteries, so they are completely portable. You can visit almost any general-topic museum to see examples of these "books."

K5UOS likes this.
  5. K5UOS

K5UOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading is a gift that many never, ever let themselves enjoy. Have a friend who told me proudly that he has never read a book in his 60+ years.
    I sadly shook my head all of the 50 times he has told me that.

Mac has a great job/hobby (not sure).

I hope books don't get to the point we describe them in the past tense like buggy whips. With e-readers I am afraid that is going to be so.

Don K5UOS

W8ZNX likes this.
  6. K5UOS

K5UOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool. There is probably a long lost story that goes with all those keys.

K5UOS

7. W8ZNX

hello Don
    been selling books for nearly 25 years

if could have
    only one pleasure in life
    it would be reading

the English teacher who said " books are like ships that take you to other times and places "
    was right

never could understand people who do not share that pleasure
    same for people that don't like classical music

not the least bit worried about future of the modern printed book
    its a format that has worked since 1440

e readers have their place, text books, reference book, manuals ect
    but
    most people for pleasure reading, still prefer black ink on white paper

yours truly
    mac

W7UUU likes this.
  8. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Books as sailing ships...so very wise, and true. Never moreso than with Henry Dana's "Two Years before the Mast," where the English teacher's analogy comes close to being literal.

I would have to agree that Mac has a dream job...

Oh, regarding e-readers and books...e-reader has saved a treasured passtime for me because inflammatory arthritis makes it difficult to hold a book and turn pages. But, I love books. I love the feel of quality paper, the texture of a well-done cover, even the subtle fragrance of a book--glue, paper, ink, leather or other covering material. My "relaxation room" has hundreds of shelved books, and two other rooms in the house play host to no fewer than three bookcases.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My youngest granddaughter, Maya, age 11, is definitely a REAL "bookworm"! She reads, on average, at least 4-real books a week each several hundred pages in length. Maya has, basically, "emptied" the children's area at her local library and is now allowed to check out books in the adult section. Her mother, my youngest daughter, is constantly searching used book stores for books for Maya to read.

On "standardized" tests, she is classified as reading on a post college level! However, she does not confine her interests just to books. This is the granddaughter who has recently taken up fencing, loves to swim, who volunteers at a local animal shelter, and loves to do scientific projects.

At least around my youngest daughter's house, books are definitely NOT obsolete!

Glen, K9STH

KE4HTS likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What a great post, Mac

Dave
    W7UUU