Photo Captioning Hard To Read

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by WA7LA, Jun 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7LA

WA7LA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Recently I have noticed thumbnail photos identified with blue text on transparent background. To me, that is difficult to read. Perhaps a light color text box background fill color would help us with 'old' eyes?
    L. Angello
    WA7LA

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen a great many web pages, ads, QRZ.com lookups etc., that look like a completely clueless individual put it together and maybe never even looked at it when they did!
    They seem to think it is more about fancy colors, fonts, etc. than the actual content.
    It is just the way things are now when people with no knowledge of what looks good or how to do things want to be a page designer on the internet. Stuff like that puts me totally off from reading the page or attempting to buy anything from them. I figure that the displayed lack of knowledge or concern for what they are doing must span a much greater range beyond just the ad or webpage!!

My favorite is "click to enlarge" in an ad on a webpage of things for sale and when you do, it just pops up in the middle of the page but in the exact same size of picture.:rolleyes:

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^
    One of the things I learned about HTML coding (before WYSIWYG applications) was, you want a page to load FAST and to not be [too] difficult to view. In addition to not making pages ridiculously long/cluttered, I generally use thumbnail image(s) that link(s) to a yuuge image(s. Further, before uploading to my file host, I edit my images -- I crop unnecessary background, rotate as needed, and adjust brightness/contrast/sharpness as needed. The last step is to resize to a reasonable pixel size.

For images, I like to use Flickr. When I upload a yuuge image, it automagically creates smaller sizes, down to 75x75 pixels. I often link a smaller size "thumbnail" to a large size like this:
    Code:
    [URL=http//large_image.jpg][IMG]http://small_image.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Note in the example,the "nested" small image links to the larger image. Here's the real thing, 320x320 image linked to the 1500x1500 version:
    [​IMG]
    (click for yuuge image, to see the busy bee) :)