Phonetic Alphabet - quit saying "Kilowatt"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0GTU, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

DX understands country names. When in doubt I use country names before old Adam 12 phonetics. Foe some reason with this call I only have a problem with the zed, hence zanzibar is what I usually utter. It throws some domestic ops off at first, as does being read back as w7zu. Not sure which layer of the atmosphere is responsible for this phenomenon.

Undoubtedly the same layer that had people on cw copying kk7f for my old call kk7ue. No matter how I spaced it out. :confused:

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, they like that I think.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Willy Needs 4 Snappy Xylophone X-rays.

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now THAT'S vintage! Note the atomic symbols!!

"Too cheap to meter"

K3XR and WA1GXC like this.
  6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Too cheap to meter."

Blast from the past. Fabulous.

TKS

7. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Because there are few, if any words where the letter X makes an X sound. They all sound like Z or J when voiced. Speaking of which... What DOES X sound like? Why DO we even have this letter? Seems pointless and duplicitous.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

eckss marks the spot

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its sort of a leftover artifact from the old days when x indicated a 'ch' sound. Hence the Christmas and Xmas thing. A popular girl's name here is Xiomara or Xiomary. Its pronounced cho-mara. That doesn't work with xylophone or x-ray though. Those are English words. :eek:

KI7HSB likes this.
  10. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I pray that once the dilemma of Kilowatt is resolved,,,,we can move on to less meaningful quandaries.

N0TZU likes this.