ad: Alphaant-1

PHISHING EMAILS

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by KS2K, Sep 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2K

KS2K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been getting some phishing emails. The remarkable thing is they come from my email address
    All these emails are never answered. They are sent to trash which is compacted and emptied. I use a Mac Pro with Thunderbird for email. How can someone send a email from my email address. Does this mean somehow the person got my email pass word ?

Thanks
    KS2K

2. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I won't post links, but if you search, you find there are lots of sites out there for very easily spoofing emails. You simply enter any "from" you'd like - want to pretend to be Brad Pitt? you can simply make up a "from" email that looks like his. Or mine. Or the King of Sweden. You can then craft the body any way you like, and send to anyone you like. They will not have any idea who really sent the email whatsoever, and the "From" address will be totally believable.

That's exactly what your spammer did and it happens millions and millions of times every single day.

Just flag as spam and delete and move along

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KS2K

Thanks for the info Dave. Thats a relief ! This is a terrible world and getting worse.
    KS2K

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Having been spoofed more times than I can count, Dave's right--just create a rule or filter in your e-mail client to automatically delete all e-mails coming from you. (Just don't forget that if you were to e-mail something to yourself, it would be subject to the rule/filter as well.)

What I don't get is why anyone in the world would want other people to think that it's me--how sad is that??

6. KY4GD

I was thinking of Spam Assassin or even just using something like Gmail to retrieve emails from the account, in order to piggyback on Google's filters.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So who does a reply go to ?

Are you replying to yourself or is their real address revealed ?

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you reply, you just reply to yourself. You won't be able to see their real email address. But the return email address is usually not the point of a phishing expedition. Somewhere in the email they usually want you to click on one of their links.

Sometimes the phishing email looks like a legitimate communication from a bank, the IRS, or Social Security. They want you to use their link to log into your account and check for "suspicious" activity. But their link only goes to a dummied up web page that looks like the bank, IRS, or SS and is set up to accept your login and password. Once they have that, they no longer need you. I sometimes use their link and provide them with bogus login information.

Another common one involves a invoice for something you never ordered. The email will contain a link to a PDF that needs to be downloaded and open. Of course, what you are really downloading and installing is malware. If you didn't order something, throw away the email.

As long as you never click on anything in the email, nothing can happen. If the return email is wrong, just toss it away. Even if it is from a African Crown Prince that wants to share his money with you.

I find it very easy to spot phishing expeditions, but I have to keep after the XYL. We have a rule where by she will not click on anything in a email, without letting me look at it first. When she does call me over, it is almost always bogus.

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. KS2K

Here is the story on the Phishing email. Actually its extortion for money, payable in Bit Coin.

Sender is sending large in detail email explaining that he has recorded pictures of me with some girls in my home doing sex stuff. He further claims he has pictures of me doing strange things to my self. He wants $1450.00 paid in Bit Coin or he will release and publish the movies made.

The sender goes into great detail of how he can/does control the cameras in my home and sound recordings. His contact method is a VERY long alpha/numeric string which he claims is the place to send the $1450.00 in Bit Coins. He tells me to not to waste tim trying to trace or locate where the Bit Coins will be sent. I have received 3 of these emails so far and each time he come on stronger for me to PAY UP or he will publish all the movies. I just send them to trash, then compact and empty the trash.

He is fishing for a sucker. Now the reality. I am 78, live all alone with my dog, no girl friends or other visitors. There are NO Cameras in my home. I built the entire place and wired everything. I know what is here and what is not here. He is depending on my running a Lap Top with a camera. I am not, I run a Full Size Mac Pro. No camera of any kind attached to the Mac Pro. No WIFI door cameras, no cameras of any kind in my home.

So He is fishing for a sucker that does have a Lap Top Camera and lives a loose life.

KS2K

10. KY4GD

You are exactly correct about what he is doing. It is very ignorable, but if you are receiving that exact same spam repeatedly, you could block it by finding a unique string (like his Bitcoin address) and create a filter rule that searches incoming emails for that and blocks them. You might also just use the Subject line, if it is unique enough.

You are right not to worry about these idiots. Sadly, spam campaigns are so cheap and easy that even a tiny percent return makes them profitable. And once somebody falls for it, they are labeled a sucker, and their email address can be resold to other scummy scammers at a premium.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, Bitcoin is not really anonymous. Unless the crook washes through XMR or something, LE may be able to locate him. Unfortunately their resources are probably focused on tracking the worst of the worst.