Phasing a couple of verticals

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G0VQY, Aug 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't shoot me down in flames if my question appears to be silly.

I've got a couple of President Himalaya vertical antennas that work on 10/11/12 m. I know they are only simple verticals but they do work very well, especially on the 10 m band. Mind you, the price has skyrocketed for some reason, I think I paid less than £100 when I bought mine, they are now approaching £200.

My question is is it possible to phase 2 president Himalayas? If so, would you actually get any benefit by doing this?

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course! YOu can phase ANY pair of antennas of any kind.

KK4NSF and AJ5J like this.
  3. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you will get absolute mountains of gain.:D

Seriously, though, the answer is yes, in a nutshell. By fabricating a switchable (or non-switcable for only one favored direction) phasing/delay line with correct lengths of coax and proper spacing you can achieve a good deal of gain in one or more directions.

I would consult the ARRL Antenna Book or the RSGB equivalent for the various charts and details.

Jeff

KF5KWO and PU2OZT like this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You should normally get about 3dB of gain with optimum spacing

WB5YUZ, PU2OZT and AJ5J like this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I love phase arrays.... even simple ones. Two vertical elements, fed with equal-length coax lines with a T makes a nice, easy broadside array. They are fairly common for 2m and 70cm.... but work with any frequency.

W8NSI likes this.
  6. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Two 10m verticals, fed with different lengths of RG-58 can easily produce this pattern:
    upload_2020-8-8_11-29-40.png

Details upon request.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    KF5KWO and PU2OZT like this.
  7. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, guys, I might look into doing this at some stage

8. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't it get a bit more complicated with his multi-band verticals?

WB5YUZ likes this.
  9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

for a multi-band, broadside array spacing does get a bit trickier.... and there are some trade-offs. But it is not so complicated as to be a problem. For an end-fed array, it does entail some additional calculations and compromises.

10. M7TTC

M7TTC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've phased 2 homebrew 5/8 antennas on 10m based on Christman and got directivity, some gain, and some F/B. Covid has prevented real testing as I only operate portable and since we have been allowed back out I have been tinkering with a "fan" arrangement of EFHWs for 20/17/15.

Most of the detailed literature on phased verticals is based on LF practice and it is generally assumed that if you want directivity and gain higher up the bands you will have the means to put up a Yagi! I haven't found this helpful in view of the general insistence that ground radial networks are key to the performance of phased arrays and that your feedpoints will be at ground level. I use 4 radials on each antenna slightly longer than 1/4 wavelength with the feedpoints about 2m up, radials draped across whatever bushes are available or guyed out. If you make up your own 5/8 for peanuts (wire on a fibreglass pole - what I use) and phase it with your Himalaya it should be "close enough" in performance terms to meet the stricture that elements should be equal to give you an idea.