Petitions to the FCC

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

I think it's crazy to have a system where the people who want a license can petition to have the requirements reduced.

What if medical students petitioned to have testing and training reduced, and it was granted. What kind of doctors would that result in ?

What is the logic in having the wannabe's tell the existing authorities what it should take to qualify, in the future ?

How far will it go before the faulty logic in this is recoginized ? What if buck privates in the Army petitioned the joint chiefs, demanding to be made generals, and it was granted ? What would a general's star be worth then ? What's anything worth, when everyone qualifies instantly without any knowledge or skill ?

Is making everyone happy the goal now ? It never was before. And just how happy can you be about getting something that any idiot can get without any effort or skill ?

Food for thought....

2. Guest

Guest Guest

While I think that various groups/individiuals have a personal axe to grind, self-interests at heart, or may be focused more on the 'gimme gimme' attitude than the real purpose.

I, for one, am EXCEEDINGLY glad that our system permits and encourages the submittal of petitions to the Government for redress and/or airing of concerns. Long may it continue!

If nothing else - it brings things up for debate and discussion.

So let's not eliminate the ability to petition, but rathar look at the approval of the petitions from the perspective of is it good for the program as a whole or just pandering to some specific individual/groups self-interest?

That's the key question.

K3FT

3. N5CTI

N5CTI Ham Member QRZ Page

Since it's impossible to envision and codify all possible situations, the ability to petition for redress is vital. But as K3FT said, the burden should then shift to the petitioner to prove that the existing regulations have overlooked a particluar circumstance that applies to them, and their exclusion isn't due to the fact that they can't meet all the true, underlying requirements, but instead it's because the regulations are flawed.

I believe this is what's intended by allowing petitions to deviate from the regs. Whether or not it's implemented that way is something else entirely.

4. KI4BOO

KI4BOO Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w2fgv @ Sep. 05 2003,04:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it's crazy to have a system where the people who want a license can petition to have the requirements reduced.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Most of the petitions have been developed and submitted by VE groups (Must be an Extra class), or by people who are Extra Class amateurs, who have passed the exams and code proficiency requirements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.